Martin's 10CR :: Triumph Torque

RH Classic Insurance

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Martin's 10CR
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Toutes Directions - Competitions    10 Countries Run  ›  Martin's 10CR
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

Martin's 10CR Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Don Cook
June 12, 2017, 7:41pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.15
As we approach the 8th Ten Countries Run I thought I would add my thoughts of this thoroughly nice man in the context of the 10CR.

I had heard of the run that Martin had inspired: down to the Med, dipping toes and other things in the warm waters (in suspect trunks!) and to drive through ten countries on the way there and back...and in just a long weekend! It was informal and I had hoped that James Carruthers would accompany me but he was ill on the Saturday. However, I arrived with my passport some odd maps and a couple of T shirts and some pants. "Hello" Martin said
"Hello" I said "Can I join you?"
"Yes, what's your name?"
"Don"
"You don't know the route do you, hang on you can have my marked up map" Martin arrived with his map and asked about my co-driver "Err, he's not well"
"Well...OK, we'll find somebody"

That was my first meeting with Martin: enthusiastic, gracious and accommodating. On the return journey we were held up for a couple of hours at Grandiola (I think) and after a while I wandered off to have a look around, I found a lovely mountain stream and to my surprise I found Martin, sitting on a rock, leaning back with his bare-feet in the freezing water.

That first 10CR in 2003 has led to several hundred other people showing our Marque of car throughout Europe. Indeed, taking into account the other events Martin has been involved with we all owe him a debt of gratitude, even if its only for "Come on, let's stop fannying around"

Well, they're my thoughts on a great guy, what are your's?

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

Don Cook
Manningtree, Essex

GT6 Mk3 Signal Red (Tomboy). Triumphs in the past: Vitesse 1600, Toledo. Tiger Cub, Thunderbird.

Ten Countries Run 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2015
Several Dutch Rallies.
Some La Carrera Caledonia.

Best trip ever: Ijsselmeer causeway then up through Germany, Denmark...over the two massive bridges of Slorebaeltbroen and Oresund to Ystad in Sweden where we got an overnight ferry to Poland, then on to Berlin etc.
Private Message
mpbarrett
June 12, 2017, 7:56pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.26
I didn't really know Martin but we have done a few 10CR's (not always successfully...) and they have always been great fun and something special for me and Libby.
It has also given us the confidence to go off with other Triumph friends for long trips in Europe, usually involving steep hills/mountains......

SO thank you very much Martin for the inspiration...

And very best thoughts for your family

Mike and Libby.

"Little Red", 13/60 Herald convertible with 1500 engine and O/D, (1/2 2007 10CR, 1/2 2009 10CR and 1 RBRR). March 2013 Back from darkest Norfolk and now very shiny.... 2017 rust coming thru again
"Little Blue", 2.5L GT6 mk3, Didnt do the 2009 10CR as it refuses��to leave East Anglia. Didnt finish 2010 RBRR due to vibration for propshaft and very doggy ignition. Finished the 2011 10CR, getting ready for the 2013 10CR. Broke down up a 2650M mountain. Now with new owner.
"Little Silver" Triumph Acclaim. Now owned by the editor of Triumph World. Since been sold on....
"Big Blue" 1972 blue TR6 the new toy Was fun one 10CR and a trip thru the Alps. Now in Wales.

Back to the Herald (about to get Megasquirted), Jag XK8 and a campervan.
Private Message Reply: 1 - 5
Toledo Man
June 13, 2017, 6:03am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.63
I've already mentioned this in the other thread about Martin. I think it would be fitting to have this year's 10CR in his memory as it was his brainchild.

Toledo Man

HCR 2006 & 2007 finisher
1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (The rolling restoration)
2008 Citroën C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (the modern)
Former stable of 5 Acclaims, 1 Toledo, 2 1500fwd, 1 1300fwd, 1 Dolomite 1300 & 1 Dolomite Sprint (that's just the Triumphs!)
I've still got some parts for sale...
Check out my Blog on http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com/

"I can help you stop smoking in bed. Buy a waterbed and fill it with petrol." - Bob Monkhouse OBE (1928-2003)
Private Message Windows Live Messenger Skype Reply: 2 - 5
timbancroft61
June 13, 2017, 9:26pm Report to Moderator

Still around!
Club Officer
Posts Per Day: 2.42
I took part in the event that Don mentions and after a chat with Martin, I decided to take part. I was just starting with CT, having joined the main committee of the Club in 2001. By then I was being groomed to run the RBRR by Derek.

Anyway, my feeling like many was that CT only really existed for the RBRR which as everyone knows is run every two years, between that apart from the Club's national day and or local events not a lot was happening.

So Martin got it about that he was going to organise an unofficial event and contacted me to see if I would like to take part, to which of course I said yes.

Martin then set up with the help of a weird chap called Dean Martin, a Yahoo group for the 10CR and not before long we had about 10 or so cars and crews up for the event. He then started work on the route which I think he distributed to all those taking part at the start. Quite a few of us met at a Triumph event at Gaydon where most of those taking part met up.

Come the start that was at The Plough near Enfield, CT's old home, all those who said that they would take part pitched up.
TR7 FHC: Martin Randle and Matt ?
Herald 1200: Andy and Sarah Johnson
Acclaim: Barry McGrath and Keith Bennett
TR4: Mike Sloan and his wife
GT6 mk3: Don Cook
GT6 Mk3: Doug Foreman and ?
Dolomite 1500: Quentin Burkinshaw + 2
2000 mk1: Graham Reeks, Andy MacDonald and Sam Shattock
TR2: Doug and Mary Crutchfield
TR4A: Tim Hunt and Mike ?
2500TC: Andy Pearce and Ben Hobson
TR3A: Andy Flexney and Paul Darbyshire
Herald (Stretched): Dave Pearson, Jason Chinn and Craig Gingell
GT6 mk2: Tim Bancroft and Richard Arthers

It was a great event and I think all taking part enjoyed themselves. Martin did so much for us all.
Also note, that the 10CR Yahoo group was the forerunner of this Forum.

Martin then went on to organise the first official 10CR, formed the Competition Committee, started one of the Club's most popular Local Groups, Pendle and Pennine (Including their infamous 'Not the Xmas meal'), entered Autotests, and 12 car rallies. I nav'd for him on the Dolphin Motor Club's Hampshire based rally (He travelled down for that) and Kirby Lonsdale's Historic Rally, we did ok. Oh yes, always keen to help out on the RBRR, the infamous Tebay Control with either Paul Darbyshire or McJim where all teams would be greeted by a big smile and encouragement.

So yes, Martin really go stuck in and made things happen.

Also, he seemed to find time to support two daughters, have a great relationship with his wife, Deana, buy a few more Triumph and Rover motor cars and carve out a fruitful career with Michelin.

Top bloke or what! A mover and a shaker!

Shocked by this awful new, may I take this opportunity to offer my sincere condolences to Deana and Martin's family. I am sure many in CT will really miss him. RIP Raider.

Club Triumph Round Britain Reliability Run (Part of the organising team, what a team)!
RBRR is the best car event in the UK, not probably, it is!

1970 GT6 Mk.2: Royal Blue 6 RBRRs (98, 00,02,04,06 & 10), 2 10CRs (03 & 07). 2 HCRs 1 LCC, lots of Autosolos and numerous track days. Bought in 1983, crikey where did the time go! Now running the Roy Lacey cooling system!

1969 2.5Pi Mk.1: Slate Grey 3 10CRs (05,09 & 15), 3 RBRRs (08, 12 & 16), 3 HCRs, 2 LCCs. A few alloy panels, does need the pi kit fitting. Bought April '04. Needs paint! Just fitted some new 7J Minilites-not copies!

1967 Spitfire mk2: Wedgewood Blue. Bought November 2010. Almost seems civilised. Car has done a RBRR (Dave Picton 2010). Blimey, could be on the road soon!
Private Message Reply: 3 - 5
Bryce
June 14, 2017, 7:55am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.09
Hi Tim, have you seen the private message I sent you.

Spitfire mk3 1969
Spitfire mk3 1968
Toledo 2dr 1971
Tr7 sprint rally, Raiders BRP
Private Message Reply: 4 - 5
timbancroft61
June 14, 2017, 10:21am Report to Moderator

Still around!
Club Officer
Posts Per Day: 2.42
Hi Bryce,

Sorry, just seen it, have replied.

Tim

Club Triumph Round Britain Reliability Run (Part of the organising team, what a team)!
RBRR is the best car event in the UK, not probably, it is!

1970 GT6 Mk.2: Royal Blue 6 RBRRs (98, 00,02,04,06 & 10), 2 10CRs (03 & 07). 2 HCRs 1 LCC, lots of Autosolos and numerous track days. Bought in 1983, crikey where did the time go! Now running the Roy Lacey cooling system!

1969 2.5Pi Mk.1: Slate Grey 3 10CRs (05,09 & 15), 3 RBRRs (08, 12 & 16), 3 HCRs, 2 LCCs. A few alloy panels, does need the pi kit fitting. Bought April '04. Needs paint! Just fitted some new 7J Minilites-not copies!

1967 Spitfire mk2: Wedgewood Blue. Bought November 2010. Almost seems civilised. Car has done a RBRR (Dave Picton 2010). Blimey, could be on the road soon!
Private Message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread