12 Volt Radiator Cooling Fan :: Triumph Torque

RH Classic Insurance

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
12 Volt Radiator Cooling Fan
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Chit Chat Boards    Technical Chit-Chat  ›  12 Volt Radiator Cooling Fan
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

12 Volt Radiator Cooling Fan Print
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Spitfire6
September 2, 2017, 7:28pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.36
Hi,
I have for my comparisons, made a few assumptions;

Push or pull makes no difference in power consumption.
flat or curved blades make no difference in power consumption.
Free air or pushing/pulling against a restriction makes no difference against power consumption.
Higher Amps equals more CFM.
Power consumption is rated to volts times amps and measured in watts. VxI=W)
All motors are brushed.
Voltage is at 12 volts DC.
I require an aftermarket fan that fits thru the radiator.
Davies Craig 12-inch Cooling Fan sell a true 120 Watt fan @ a cost I want to find cheaper.

My cooling fan & motor is dead  ( Kenlowe KLM 170 has died. It was a blower.

So off I went on EBay to find the highest wattage 12 Volt fan I could find.
What fun that was not.

Went to Amazon and bought a 220 Watt 12" fan.
A toy 80 Watt measured @ 6.6Amps 12 Volt fan marked 120 Watt unit arrived from BBClasics.

Unfortunately, I never measured the power of my now defunct fan, but I assume it was more than 100 Watts.

Anyhow, Does anyone know where i can buy a > 120 Watts, 12" fan that is cheaper than the Davis Craig one?

Cheers,
Iain.

Me in Burnley, GB
Spitfire 6 EFI Alpha N (Emerald K3 ECU). Big fat 215/40/16's on the backside. (They fit and minimal camber change). Custom cooling system with 20% EG for winter with 2% corrosion inhibitor. LED's all round. NT 5W40 Oil. 3.27 diff with a LSD by Quaife. TR6 Transmission + J Type.

PUG 206CC 2L twin-Cam. NT 5W40 Oil
Automation and control systems engineer.
RIP Step-7 Classic. Long live Portal V14
IEEE Member
G6SBH
Yaesu FT 102 with all the extra's.

http://www.SpitFire6.UK               Main site- work in progress

Site Private Message Skype
glang
September 2, 2017, 8:47pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.61
I think there must have been a mistake with the fan you received and you should follow it up!
Aside from that how much cooling do you need from the fan? Depending on your set up maybe an 80w fan will be sufficient as your old Kenlowe probably didnt deliver much more airflow. If not the most powerful 12" item you can buy is the Kenlowe extreme power at 265w but unfortunately you wont find one cheaper than the Davies Craig......
Private Message Reply: 1 - 28
Spitfire6
September 2, 2017, 9:14pm Report to Moderator

Hi,
Glang, Of course there has been  a "mistake" with what I paid for, and what i received. I am to receive  a telephone call on Monday to resolve. But if the 120 Watt stickered fan sent in error measured only 80 Watts, So I am worried that the advertised 220 Watt fan is bull-crap.
How much do i need? More than enough, as the ECU controls it. 20 Amps are fine.

Cheers,
Iain.

Me in Burnley, GB
Spitfire 6 EFI Alpha N (Emerald K3 ECU). Big fat 215/40/16's on the backside. (They fit and minimal camber change). Custom cooling system with 20% EG for winter with 2% corrosion inhibitor. LED's all round. NT 5W40 Oil. 3.27 diff with a LSD by Quaife. TR6 Transmission + J Type.

IEEE Member
G6SBH

Site Private Message Skype Reply: 2 - 28
cliftyhanger
September 2, 2017, 9:20pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 2.24
I would have a look at Spal fans. OE to at least some mercs, probably others too. So should be very good quality. And used or WRC stuff too.
I bought one. Very pleased.Thinkit is circa 80w (a std fan as opposed to a motorsport type) and it copes with my engine very well (probably similar power? but more modern design that likes to run at 92 degrees. And I use a golf rad)

Clive Senior

Location-Brighton, East Sussex
Foxy is here, 1500od tax exempt Toledo. Now has the decent engine back in Slant 4 engine bolted in, sprint box and axle.Now has fresh MoT. Needs paint though.
Spitfire Zetec project is started work progressing slooooowly on the road!
Private Message Reply: 3 - 28
Spitfire6
September 2, 2017, 9:39pm Report to Moderator

Hi Clive,
I use the golf Rad, hence the 12" fan requirement. 80 watt??? no good on a 6 that makes more than 100 BHP?
I have a modern 3 port thermostat fitted.

Iain.

Me in Burnley, GB

IEEE Member
G6SBH

Site Private Message Skype Reply: 4 - 28
Dion
September 2, 2017, 9:39pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.07
My TR4 had, as an extra to the standard mechanical fan, a blowing electric fan. The car was always on the edge of overheating. The make and output of the elec fan is unknown, it was fitted to the radiator. I removed the mechanical fan and old blowing fan and installed the Revotec solution - an electric sucking fan.
Fantastic!
No more worries, the temp always stays in the 'normal' range. One of those things I regret not doing earlier.

Tilburg, Netherlands
63 - TR4, 66 - 2000 od LPG, 73 - Stag  
previous owner of: 69 - Herald 1200 Sal, 71 - 2000 od LPG, 75 - 2500 aut LPG inj
plus a couple of other classics
A car stops being fun when it becomes an investment
Private Message Reply: 5 - 28
glang
September 2, 2017, 9:50pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from Spitfire6
Hi,
Glang, Of course there has been  a "mistake" with what I paid for, and what i received. I am to receive  a telephone call on Monday to resolve. But if the 120 Watt stickered fan sent in error measured only 80 Watts, So I am worried that the advertised 220 Watt fan is bull-crap.
How much do i need? More than enough, as the ECU controls it. 20 Amps are fine.

Cheers,
Iain.

I think you'll get the right fan as the ones advertised come in different motor thicknesses and although thats no guarantee of motor power it would be strange to produce various sizes all the same power! The one you want should be about 92mm deep.....
Private Message Reply: 6 - 28
Spitfire6
September 2, 2017, 9:57pm Report to Moderator

They walk among us.

Me in Burnley, GB

IEEE Member
G6SBH

Site Private Message Skype Reply: 7 - 28
esxefi
September 3, 2017, 12:06am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.42
I have a few spare fans sitting around including a universal 12" kenlow and I think a spal 10" which is 2" deep not including motor,it shifts a lot of air.
I used to have 2 of these fitted but went down to 1 after fitting a high flow ally rad,it does the job successfully.

perhaps you have a problem elsewhere in the system? a blocked rad will drastically reduce cooling capacity,ok at speed but once you slow down or come to a standstill then the temps will rise and it is a struggle for any fan to dissipate heat.

I fitted a mesh filter in the top hose to catch any crud,you will be surprised what it catches,even if your coolant 'looks' fine and clear there is always the odd lump of rust and other rubbish floating around ready to block the rads' capillary tubes.
Private Message Reply: 8 - 28
ed_h
September 3, 2017, 4:17am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.01
It's likely that they spec the power consumption of the fan at something higher than 12 volts.  Something over 14 would not be unreasonable since system voltage of a running car can easily be that high.

A motor is a little more complicated, but for a simple resistance, power goes up with the square of voltage.

Ed
Private Message Reply: 9 - 28
cliftyhanger
September 3, 2017, 5:11am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 2.24
Quoted from Spitfire6
Hi Clive,
I use the golf Rad, hence the 12" fan requirement. 80 watt??? no good on a 6 that makes more than 100 BHP?
I have a modern 3 port thermostat fitted.

Iain.

My car makes a little over 180bhp.....
Fan has no issues keeping it cool. BUT I do have the fan fitted to an original VW shroud.
How about getting the complete rad/shroud/fan from a golf?? New are available, but s/h complete units are generally cheap and ideal to try out.

or the full list of spal axial 12v fans is here. 6-32A current draw, but the cfm may be a more useful figure? Its all there.
http://www.spalautomotive.com/eng/products/axial_12.aspx

or cut to the chase, if this fan doesn't keep your car cool, give up
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPAL.....6:g:wZ8AAOSwNRdYAJ17

Clive Senior

Location-Brighton, East Sussex
Foxy is here, 1500od tax exempt Toledo. Now has the decent engine back in Slant 4 engine bolted in, sprint box and axle.Now has fresh MoT. Needs paint though.
Spitfire Zetec project is started work progressing slooooowly on the road!
Private Message Reply: 10 - 28
Spitfire6
September 4, 2017, 7:02pm Report to Moderator

Hi Clive, & all
My car makes more than yours at full chat, but the size of the cooling fan is irreverent at high MPH i think....

The Golf fan and shroud what probably be the best most efficient engine on my car. Makes sense.

The Spal fan catalog is most interesting. If only all other manufactures printed the true facts! Triying to buy a fan from CFM online is difficult when the non-scrupulous sellers lie, hence the Amperage search.

My 220 Watt fan has been sent to replace the 120 Watt (80 watt measured) sent in error.

My old Kenlowe only comes on for 20 seconds or so when stationary. The replacement had better behave similar or it will be going back for a refund and I will look for a VW shroud and fan.

Cheers all,
Iain.

Me in Burnley, GB

IEEE Member
G6SBH

Site Private Message Skype Reply: 11 - 28
glang
September 4, 2017, 7:18pm Report to Moderator

Although Kenlowe dont seem to produce aftermarket fans anymore I use the info from a company in the states, Derale, whose products are very similar. With your replacement fan Iain please let us know what it draws (if possible) and how you get on with it.....
Cheers
Private Message Reply: 12 - 28
John Bonnett
September 4, 2017, 7:22pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.17
I ran a MK2 Golf GTI radiator on my GT6 but space was tight and I had to install it at a slight angle. There was no room for the shroud. I fitted three Pacet fans; two on the engine side and one on the front. My own feeling was that the radiator had marginal capacity for the six and you could certainly see the temperature rise when you booted it. I think Roy may have the same opinion. I'm running the same rad with the VW shroud and fan on my four and it works really well. The shroud really is the key and it is a shame that there isn't sufficient room to fit the assembly in a six.

La Coupe Florio 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-rtCbygnIM
GT6 to Spain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtFH-Q3n2Gg

Located Whiddon Down Devon
Private Message Reply: 13 - 28
Spitfire6
September 10, 2017, 7:10pm Report to Moderator

Hi,
cliftyhanger the Spal website has been a Godsend thank you.
I have been able to look and compare fans with regards to airflow and power. CFM was mentioned above, but as most EBay & Amazon sales quote obvious inflated figures it was no good as a guide, unlike the Spal fans.

I have found a 1300 CFM fan in free air @ around 120 Watts @ 13Volts, for 20 quid. 2nd hand of course.

The 1640 CFM fan "cut to the chase, if this fan doesn't keep your car cool, give up" is better on spec. I might have bought this if I had not found a cheap supply of 1300CFM Spal fans. Both Fans have the same motors but different fan designs and packages. The fan I found is OEM, so not available new anyhow.

Interestingly, the Spal catalog shows that pushing is more efficient than pulling..Also that fan design dictates best flow direction. Another nail in the Aeroline coffin.

Cheers,
Iain.

PS. the Dogs ****s fan is 12" blades. the fan I bought is 11". The 12" will not fit a golf Rad. 11" will.

Me in Burnley, GB

IEEE Member
G6SBH

Site Private Message Skype Reply: 14 - 28
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Chit Chat Boards    Technical Chit-Chat  ›  12 Volt Radiator Cooling Fan

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread