Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 4 Guests

Stag wont idle Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
tom horse
November 8, 2017, 6:06pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.11
Hi,
i'm thinking about buying a stag with the original Triumph V8. It drives fine although it does have a couple of small leaks, as you'd expect
My main concern is that it wont tick over and anything less than about 12-1400 Rpm and being an auto it produces a loud clunk when engaging 'D' or reverse. Is this likely just going to be carbs/dizzy related or is there some Stag gremlin lurking than will jump out and empty my wallet two days after I buy it?

TH
Private Message
RobPearce
November 9, 2017, 10:25am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.44
I've had that sort of thing caused by manifold gasket leaks, which are more of a pain on the V8 than any other Triumph engine. I can't immediately think of any other Stag-specific issue but I'm not really a Stag expert (when I had one, its engine was about the only trouble-free bit of the whole car).

Current fleet
1967 Vitesse 2L conv "Tessa"
1970 Spitfire Mk3 (project) "Toby"
1972 GT6 Mk3
Not enough time or space
Recently sold:
1972 2.5 PI estate "Harry" (gone to russell on here)
1973 Toledo 2-door "Spike" (gone to a club official)
Used to have:
1968 Vitesse 2L saloon
1980 Dolomite 1500
1977 Dolomite 1850
1980 Dolomite Sprint
1982 TR7 DHC Sprint
1975 2500S saloon
1971 Herald 13/60 Estate (with 1500 Spit engine)
1975 Stag
Private Message Reply: 1 - 10
tom horse
November 9, 2017, 4:00pm Report to Moderator

thanks for that, gaskets are fine, I just don't want to buy it if it has wallet emptying problem just around the corner
Private Message Reply: 2 - 10
StagNL
November 10, 2017, 3:40pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.44
Idle speed could be just a fiddle with the settings of the idle screws or throttle linkage, but could equally be gaskets or other form of air leak.
The clunk on selecting reverse is common and usually accentuated when on choke (high idle....)  It can be softened sometimes by fiddling with the auto box settings.

Julian

Triumph Stag, Man. OD, RHD, Datsun 280ZX halfshafts and Subaru Legacy/Forrester R160 differential, Revolution 15" alloys. Fully rebuilt 2014.  
Triumph 2500TC, LHD, Autobox, PAS, Sunroof, Cosmic alloys.
CT Holland member.
Private Message Reply: 3 - 10
Pete Lewis
November 10, 2017, 6:46pm Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Probably find the carb temperature compensators are open when should be closed
easy to remove  (2 screws on the side s)  and turn the small nut to close the plunger as these bypass the throttle plates
pete

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 4 - 10
tom horse
November 11, 2017, 3:53pm Report to Moderator

Thanks Pete, that the kind of thing I was looking for. I'm aware of the usual leaks, out of sync carbs etc.  But it's been decades since I've even seen a stromberg. never mind one with temp compensators on it.
I'm going see it next week to give it a good going over and look for rust, signs of over heating  and all the usual checks, brakes,lights,etc, etc. i'll see if I can get a look at these temp compensators and i'll take some carb cleaner for gasket leak detection.
I don't want to fix it before I buy it but it would be good to know what the cause might be before I part with any cash.
Do you know of an updates, improvements I should look for? apart from the bigger radiator.
Private Message Reply: 5 - 10
RobPearce
November 13, 2017, 10:04am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Bigger radiator isn't really needed, just a really well cleaned-out cooling system. That said, an under-spec radiator core is a bad idea (and sometimes gets fitted if the rad's been repaired). I'm tempted to say that most "updates, improvements" should be regarded as potential badly bodged bits.

Current fleet
1967 Vitesse 2L conv "Tessa"
1970 Spitfire Mk3 (project) "Toby"
1972 GT6 Mk3
Not enough time or space
Recently sold:
1972 2.5 PI estate "Harry" (gone to russell on here)
1973 Toledo 2-door "Spike" (gone to a club official)
Used to have:
1968 Vitesse 2L saloon
1980 Dolomite 1500
1977 Dolomite 1850
1980 Dolomite Sprint
1982 TR7 DHC Sprint
1975 2500S saloon
1971 Herald 13/60 Estate (with 1500 Spit engine)
1975 Stag
Private Message Reply: 6 - 10
V Mad
November 15, 2017, 4:35pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.03
Quoted from tom horse
Hi,
i'm thinking about buying a stag with the original Triumph V8. It drives fine although it does have a couple of small leaks, as you'd expect
My main concern is that it wont tick over and anything less than about 12-1400 Rpm and being an auto it produces a loud clunk when engaging 'D' or reverse. Is this likely just going to be carbs/dizzy related or is there some Stag gremlin lurking than will jump out and empty my wallet two days after I buy it?

TH

Not surprising you get a loud clunk at that engine speed, it's much too high.  When you say it won't idle at less, do you mean it doesn't respond to the idle speed screws being unscrewed and the butterflies closed?   Or do you mean that the engine dies when idle speed is reduced?  

www.stagweber.co.uk
Triumph Stag 1972 MOD; BlueBeige; Twin-choke Weber Conversion. Custom Header Tank. Fan Cowl, Blade fuse box.

Sunbeam Tiger 260 V8. 1965��

Private Message Reply: 7 - 10
tom horse
November 17, 2017, 11:15am Report to Moderator

It runs on the choke but as soon as you push the choke in it dies. I suspect it will be either worn carb spindles etc or a leaky inlet gasket. there's no problem when drivng,it accelerates with no hesitation and the kickdown on the gearbox works ( I assume it has the vacuum link to the engine)
It does have a few oil leaks etc but the body, floor etc is fine. Front discs are gubbed and there is play in a few bushes but overall the price was good for it's condition.
It should be arriving here next week so i can get started on it and hopefully find it's just a leaky gasket and not worn carbs. (If it is carbs it will probably end up with SU's instead of the strombergs)
Private Message Reply: 8 - 10
V Mad
November 17, 2017, 12:55pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.03
Stroms may not need major surgery, there are many other Stromberg things that might be causing the problem if you can find what it is.  First quick check is that diaphragms are OK.
PS: SUs are not really an option unless you are skilled enough to undertake the work required.

Good luck with your purchase, I dont think the idling problem will be too serious.

www.stagweber.co.uk
Triumph Stag 1972 MOD; BlueBeige; Twin-choke Weber Conversion. Custom Header Tank. Fan Cowl, Blade fuse box.

Sunbeam Tiger 260 V8. 1965��

Private Message Reply: 9 - 10
tom horse
November 17, 2017, 10:26pm Report to Moderator

i spoke to Burlens today and they say putting HIF44's on should be fairly easy. It should just be a case of sorting out the linkage as the bolt pattern is the same as the strombergs. he also said that it should up the power a bit IF I can figure out what needles are best suited.
Anyway I'll wait for it to get here, sort out the front brakes and flush out the cooling system before looking at the idle problem.
Then I'll have to sort out the oil leaks including the rear crank seal.
Private Message Reply: 10 - 10
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Stag  ›  Stag wont idle

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread