Young Triumph Drivers :: Triumph Torque

Triumph Parts Sign up for our Newsletter Rimmer Bros

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Young Triumph Drivers
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Chit Chat Boards    General Chit - Chat  ›  Young Triumph Drivers
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Young Triumph Drivers Print
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
NSmith
November 10, 2017, 11:16pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Hello Club Triumph,
I am 17 years old and I am restoring a Triumph Herald 1360 for my first car. The process is long as Im sure many of you know, however insurance for people my age on classics is a hell of a lot of money, and most companies will not insure young drivers on classics, I am asking if anyone knows of an insurance company that will insure me for a reasonable price.
I have spent a lot of time on this car and would really like to drive it soon but without a reasonable policy I will not be able to.
Any response is very apreciated
Thanks
Nathan
Private Message
Nick Jones
November 11, 2017, 10:00am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
I feel your pain.  My son recently went through this with his Mk IV Spifire and had great difficulty.  He was 20 at the time with nearly 3 years NCB.

Bottom line is that you are wasting your time calling any of the classic insurers.  Whatever their ads may say and whatever internet lore says, I spoke to pretty much everyone of them and basically, if you are under 21 you are untouchable, and really, in most cases you must be over 25 unless you want to pay them huge money.  How they figure this out I really don't know - some drivers could easily have 8 years clean driving record/NCB by then - which is more than many older drivers.

Your best hope is, surprisingly, the mainstream insurers.  Admiral, LV, and Aviva etc.  Just don't modify your car.  At all.  That was our biggest problem.  And be careful what you call "modifications".  We had one promising prospect squashed because he was unwise enough to tell them he'd fitted Koni adjustable dampers.  They didn't care about the CV joint conversion, they didn't care about the MX5 seats, they didn't care about the sports exhaust......

In the end I think he got a near bearable quote from HIC (Herts Insurance).  Be aware that any and all of the above operate claw-back side strategies to top up their lower premiums and charge "handsome" admin fees for any changes and are generally a PITA to deal with.  If you can manage to go the year without change or mishap then they offer best value.

Good luck!

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 1 - 25
JohnD
November 11, 2017, 8:00pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.51
I Think they make them up on the spot.
I'm an o!d fart, living the sticks, so a "good" risk.   But insuring g my race Vitesse, I spoke to a well-known insurer, because I knew it was ' unusual'.     All the engine mods OK!   Suspension mods?  OK!  There's no passenger seat, or. Trim inside for that matter.  OK!  And no rear seat.   No rear seat?   We couldnt possibly I sure that!

John

Serial Vitesse racer.

Old Blue.  1995-2001
Silverback. 2001-2007
SofS. 2007 - to date.

Private Message Reply: 2 - 25
NSmith
November 11, 2017, 10:12pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Thank you for your responses.
Sorry the reply was so late I was working on the Herald all day, I have found that if I try and get a quote from any classic insurer, they won't insure anyone my age. But otherwise the insurance is £2000+ and I don't want to spend that much
obviously.
The car has no mods on it, so I shouldnt have any problem with that, but still the insurance is so expensive, the cheapest I have found is £2250 I believe which is much more than any modern car.
I don't understand why classic insurers don't insure people my age, yes we are technically more of a risk but it is us who will be keeping the classics going and if we can't afford the insurance how do they expect the classics to live on.
But anyway I will keep looking, thank you for your input if there is anyone else who knows anymore on the subject please say.
Thank you again

Nathan
Private Message Reply: 3 - 25
JumpingFrog
November 11, 2017, 10:35pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.02
I understand your frustration, I got my Herald 13/60 when I was 19, although that was 4 years ago. I managed to insure it for a bit under £1000 back then (expensive...) with Adrian Flux. Since then I've gone via comparison websites with companies like HIC (trading as FluxDirect) and it has become more reasonable (even after I moved the NCB elsewhere). I might try a classic insurer for next year's renewal, although I suspect they still won't quote until I'm 25.

Aside, I find insuring my modernish car (2004...) tricky, numerous companies just offer uncompetitive prices (e.g. £2000) unless you get a black box (no thanks!).

Good luck with the restoration.

1971 Herald 13/60 Saloon - Just about on the road.
1967 Herald 1200 Estate - Rebuild in progress, just about rolls - http://mongoltriumph.com
Private Message Reply: 4 - 25
Nick Jones
November 11, 2017, 10:56pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
The son of one of my friends locally has been running around in a Mk2 Vitesse convertible for the last 3 years - since he was 17.  The first year cost was just under  £ 1k.  We were gobsmacked as we'd struggled to get anything close to that on any age car, let alone a 2L classic convertible and had just got my son insured on an Arosa diesel for about £ 1.1k.  My son was very jealous!

That was Admiral I think.  Rural location possibly helps.  Limiting the mileage definitely does.

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 5 - 25
NSmith
November 12, 2017, 8:52pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Thank you for the replies
I have looked on Go Compare and sites like it so many times I have lost count, but I looked on Admiral earlier and they couldn't offer me a quote online so looks like I'll have to ring them to see what they can do for me.
This is very frustrating, so much effort has gone into this car so far and I don't want it to be for nothing because the insurance is too expensive.
Although living in Milton Keynes I guess does not help, insurance is not cheap here for anyone so that could be the reason I can't get a quote under £2000.
Perhaps if I try to register the car at my Dads house it will bring it down, who knows, worth a try I suppose.

Anyway thank you for your help, I'll post what I quote I get from Admiral tomorrow. If you have any other ideas please say, it will be heavily apreciated.

Thanks
Nathan
Private Message Reply: 6 - 25
efp
November 13, 2017, 1:55am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.23
The online automaton algorithms will always mark you down I’m afraid.

If such an obsolete thing exists any more anywhere near you, a walk-in physical high street insurance broker might just have some human common sense and contacts that could help you out.  We’ve all become conditioned to believe that the best deals are only available online and through the comparison sites but it’s not always true.

1967 Spitfire MkII, nearing end of restoration
1965 Land Rover S2A, awaiting MOT
2002 BMW 535i,  daily driver, 114k on the clock
2004 Mercedes CLK 200K, alternate daily driver, 143k on clock
1976 International 464 tractor....
Private Message Reply: 7 - 25
DaveKent
November 13, 2017, 6:39am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.41
On line Insurance, or any kind of premium/renewal seem to work on the basis that you wont argue back!- try phoning people and discuss a reasonable price!  This is why the companies favour "on line" - it makes them more money!

Club Triumph Member since 1985, and proud of it!!!
RBRR Entrant and Finisher! 1986,1988,1990,1992,1994,1996,1998,2000,2002,2004,2006,2008,2010,2012,2014,2016
HCR Entrant and Finisher! 2005,2006,2007,2008,2009
10CR 2009, 2015
1972 Spitfire MKiv� nice !!
1974 Toledo

http://www.dakstechnicaltransport.co.uk
Private Message Reply: 8 - 25
NSmith
November 13, 2017, 8:15am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Thank you for the replies.
The only reason I haven't called the Insurance companies is because I didn't see the point, what are they going to do log the information on their system and come up with a value like online. But I do see that the insurance would possibly go down with some human input, but the problem is I'm just looking to see if I can get a good quote, I don't want it to be insured yet as it isnt done.

I'll ring some today and find out what they can do
Thank you again
Nathan
Private Message Reply: 9 - 25
Hogie
November 13, 2017, 8:45am Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Hi Nathan,
                £2000 sounds pretty reasonable for a small modern car.  Are you expecting it cheaper because it is an 'old' car.

It doesn't always work that way.
Many 'cheap' classic insurances are cheap because you also have an everyday runner (probably) costing more to insure.

Most classic insurances do not give NCB so that may work against you in the future.

Go for a standard insurance for a normal car.

Roger

TR4A 1967 daily(ish) driver
TR41962  having surgery at present
Private Message Reply: 10 - 25
NSmith
November 13, 2017, 9:54am Report to Moderator

Club Member
I do know that it is more or less a similar price to a modern car, however a few years ago, this project was started on my brothers Herald when he was my age, that insurance was less than £1000, this is mainly the reason why I expect it to be a tad cheaper as I don't believe it could have gone up a grand in a few years.
I see what you mean about the everyday runners, I had never really thought about that, so I guess it'll have to be something I look into to be insured on something else too if that wold significantly bring down the price.
I'll see
Thank you for the input

Nathan
Private Message Reply: 11 - 25
Bitumen Boy
November 13, 2017, 7:11pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Something I've idly thought about is having a banger-status modern black-boxed for cheaper insurance and then simply leaving it parked up most of the time, leaving you free to enjoy driving an oldie. The black box wouldn't be such a hassle if you only used it to nip to the supermarket every other week, unless you live way out in the sticks. No idea if it would work in reality but maybe worth looking into.
Private Message Reply: 12 - 25
NSmith
November 13, 2017, 7:27pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Yes I too have thought about that possibility, but Im not sure if it would be viable, would I be spending more than if I just went for the £2000 insurance for the classic. And I would have to consider the storage space for that car, which would be a big impact.
To be fair I couldnt drive the Herald all year round anyway as it is a convert and would get quite chilly in the winter so whether that would be a good idea anyway Im not sure, will have to see.
I shall investigate to see the cheapest insurance I can possibly get on any car then go from there.

Thank you
Nathan

If anyone is interested I have created another thread logging the progress of the restoration, I can post the link on here.

https://www.club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1510529215/
Private Message Reply: 13 - 25
Rallyspit
November 13, 2017, 8:05pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.09
i sympathize with your plight. Are you aware that Fully comprehensive is often cheaper than 3rd party, and adding a older named driver (Dad?) can also dramatically reduce the premiums?
However, don't fall into the trap of insuring the car in Dad's name with you as the named driver.
Private Message Reply: 14 - 25
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Chit Chat Boards    General Chit - Chat  ›  Young Triumph Drivers

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread