Triumph Torque    Cars    TR2-6  ›  TR6 running rich and other woes
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

TR6 running rich and other woes Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
triumphtr6er
January 26, 2007, 1:59pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.00
My TR6 (Pi) is running a bit rich and doesn't like cold starts (once warm is fine).  Another problem is that when changing gear the car seems to miss a beat when I press the accelerator. Has anyone any idea on the most likely cause of these symptons? at the moment I suspect the metering unit is worn.

Cheers

James
Private Message
stagnant
January 26, 2007, 5:32pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.07
James

Could be a lot of things, but eliminate the simple stuff first. Some of the symptoms you describe could be ignition related so I'd check all that out first including the timing and tappet clearances. If that's all ok check the enrichening lever on the MU - is it working as it should e.g. engaging and releasing fully? Check the fuel pressure at the MU - should be in the range 100 - 110psi. You say you're running rich, presumably because the plugs looks a bit sooty? On a PI that's not unusual as long as it's not excessive. Another thing to check is the operation of the throttle linkage and butterfly on each induction body - they need to be in synch with just the right amount of clearance to get smooth running in all conditions. If all that fails, then maybe the MU is getting a bit tired.

Good luck.
Private Message Reply: 1 - 3
gilesdive
February 22, 2007, 1:11pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.49
Check the "cold start" lever that increases the fuel output by about double. It is behind the metering unit and operated by the "choke" cable.  If not being pulled enough, it might give cold start problems; if it does not return to the "off" position when you push the choke in, it will run way too rich.

As James says, expect the plugs to look a bit black, they usually run rich at tickover. If you look at them straight after a good blast with no ticking over afterwards, they usually look better.

White 1974 TR6 is "toy" car for evenings & weekends only.  
Used to drive Spitfires as main transport, but have a eurobox for work these days.
Don't believe in putting the roof up - a bit of snow never hurt anyone! Get the Biggles jacket out

Private Message Reply: 2 - 3
okistag
April 22, 2007, 5:08pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.01
HI GUYS,
quick question anybody know the correct co setting for a tr6 72 150 bhp. mid range power down after checking all the norm , igination timing is at 11 degress etc but co is sowing at 4.59% which i think is a bit low for the 6. would like hear your thoughts
Private Message Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    TR2-6  ›  TR6 running rich and other woes

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread