Cold Air Induction 3" Ram pipes ..... :: Triumph Torque

Moordale Motors

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Cold Air Induction 3" Ram pipes .....
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Spitfire/GT6  ›  Cold Air Induction 3" Ram pipes .....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 19 Guests

Cold Air Induction 3" Ram pipes ..... Print
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
CHRIS211083
April 28, 2011, 4:30pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.62
Hi all, my new 3" long ram pipes arrived today!!!

My current cold air induction kit.

Old ram pipes vs new.

Ok now obviously the Shorter ram pipe is better design and quality. However the new one was cheap and as with all things cheap it needs fettling.
Looking down the ram you can easily see the problem, There is a lip at the inlet to the carb which is 1. A restriction and 2. smaller then the carb inlet.

When measured before filing and sanding.

During filing and sanding.

After filing and sanding.

So thats that, fit new ABB needles (as longer ram pipes use leaner needles as they are more efficient) and put it all back together....WRONG.
I had only designed this Cold air box for 2"3/4 ram pipes and these are 3" so there was not enough room so i made some.....

Using the hammer handle and a concave shape piece of wood i knocked the metal out. You can see the domes in this picture:

So job done put it back together.

Took it for a couple of test rides to get the mixture set and all i can say is WOW. What a difference. Unfortunately i need ram pipes 5"long to give me max power at 6,500rpm but they wont fit in the arch so my max power is approximately at 7,400rpm. However every thing is so much better and adding the longest ram pipes/intake length is well worth it.

Now im off to fit the LC-1 Wideband sensor so i can fine tune the fuelling with the new needles. After that im off to the Dyno for some figures (bhp/torque) with the 4-1 pacesetter exhaust manifold and then ill fit the GT manifold and retest at the dyno after i have the fuelling correct. Then if i can be bothered i might fit the more expensive ram pipes at 2.5" long to see if there is any difference between the two.

Chris.
Private Message
JohnD
April 28, 2011, 5:50pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.47
Chris,
How much clearance is there from the mouths of the trumpets when they are in the box?
I see you have hammered that face out a bit.
You could take it further, but use a ball peen hammer, not a flat face, and do it onto a sand bag.
Leather sand bags are expensive, but I use one made from the leg of a pair of jeans!
Cut off about nine inches from the end.  Sew up the turn up, put in the sand, confined in a plastic bag and sew up the other end of the tube. Close stitches!
It won't last for ever, but I don't use it often.
Anneal the alloy after each hammering session and you can thin the metal alarmingly if you try!

John
Private Message Reply: 1 - 16
CharlieB
April 28, 2011, 5:57pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.82
It would be really interesting to see dyno printouts for the short & long ram pipes. Did something similar with a pinto on Dellortos years ago, the long ones were also better but can't remember the details.

1975 Spit 1500 BRG
South Bucks
Private Message Reply: 2 - 16
CHRIS211083
April 28, 2011, 7:42pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Definitely quicker, and new ABB needles are spot on for most of the range but are a little lean low down. The ram pipes have 1" 1/4 clearance.

Chris.
Private Message Reply: 3 - 16
bob dunn
April 28, 2011, 8:37pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.53
have you got a heated inlet manifold ?

[/color]mkiv spit just back on the road after 12 month rebuild. first car spitfire 4 mk1 white with a red roof and green wide wheels.[color=black]bmw 523 ,  320 , maybe e12, 520 soon  
Private Message Reply: 4 - 16
Gt6s
April 28, 2011, 8:44pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.54
Quoted from JohnD
I use one made from the leg of a pair of jeans!
Cut off about nine inches from the end.  Sew up the turn up, put in the sand, confined in a plastic bag and sew up the other end of the tube. Close stitches!

Do'nt forget to take your leg out of the jeans first.

Also that sand gets everywhere.

I remember being wrong once before Laurence Cochrane Newtownards Northern Ireland. 1972 Gt6 2600EFI The Mutt. Some original parts fitted, Not many ! Early PI motor overbored to 2.6. Lightened & balanced, ported chambered, cam'd 6-3-1 manifold. Running on DTA engine management system incorperating the PI throttle bodies fitted with electronic injectors and throttle position sensor. 0-60 4.7s & 7000rpm. Seriously annoys owners of modern stuff ! (particularly coz its a heap) 2500 S box with competition 28% od. 3.63 diff with a quaife in it, innit ! Rotoflex based rear but with a swing spring fitted & sliding shafts.(swing spring rotoflex without rotoflex's). Koni's front Spax rear. Hydraulic handbrake. Citroen xantia discs 11,1/4 in dia under Morris Garages 15 in Maestro alloys.
Private Message Reply: 5 - 16
Gt6s
April 28, 2011, 8:45pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.54
Quoted from bob dunn

Looking at the photographs that would be a yes he has.

I remember being wrong once before Laurence Cochrane Newtownards Northern Ireland. 1972 Gt6 2600EFI The Mutt. Some original parts fitted, Not many ! Early PI motor overbored to 2.6. Lightened & balanced, ported chambered, cam'd 6-3-1 manifold. Running on DTA engine management system incorperating the PI throttle bodies fitted with electronic injectors and throttle position sensor. 0-60 4.7s & 7000rpm. Seriously annoys owners of modern stuff ! (particularly coz its a heap) 2500 S box with competition 28% od. 3.63 diff with a quaife in it, innit ! Rotoflex based rear but with a swing spring fitted & sliding shafts.(swing spring rotoflex without rotoflex's). Koni's front Spax rear. Hydraulic handbrake. Citroen xantia discs 11,1/4 in dia under Morris Garages 15 in Maestro alloys.
Private Message Reply: 6 - 16
JohnD
April 28, 2011, 8:54pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.47
Quoted from Gt6s

Do'nt forget to take your leg out of the jeans first.

Also that sand gets everywhere.

It did when I tried to make a sandbag from a pair of Y-fronts.
Private Message Reply: 7 - 16
RobMoore606
April 28, 2011, 10:34pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.16
How are you filtering the air going into your system?

Private Message Reply: 8 - 16
CHRIS211083
April 28, 2011, 10:43pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from bob dunn

Yes mate having a hot manifold makes the cold intake charge travel faster into the engine. There is a hole load of stuff on making things go faster but i don't have the time to write it all down.

Just got back from testing and the new ABB needles are not as correct as id like. Will search for a new needle.

Chris.
Private Message Reply: 9 - 16
CHRIS211083
April 28, 2011, 11:11pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Well after a small recalculation, it looks as though ADN needles will suit better. However ABB's were a bloody close guess but need to be richer bottom end of the rev's. ADN has this plus a leaner idle which will hopefully move me below the 12-13 to 1 ratio.

Chris.
Private Message Reply: 10 - 16
GT6 M
April 28, 2011, 11:18pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
Chriss, following on from what John has said, if you no got at least an inch clearance plus, on the box to the trumpet ends , YOU willl not get the flow you think you have,
A simple trick to get about 12 hp out of the old 3 litre Capri I had , was to make the air filter lid about an inch higher than standard, as it was too close to the  carb mouth. , and seveerly restricted flow.
a well trodden mod to the old Essex engine, for very little  work.

this may  well be the caes with what you got, as the air will not be flowing smooothly

You can get longer trumpets in if you Bend em around , thats why most moderns have a long bent manifold.

regds  Marcus

One does not have to know how a thing works, to know that it is not working right

Ye div,nt efta no ooa thing wuks, t,no its nut wuk,n reet.

Scaryport,��Cumbria,.
Private Message Reply: 11 - 16
esxefi
April 28, 2011, 11:20pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.40
i was going to say if the ram pipes are more efficient ie,i take it you mean more air going in then surely you need richer needles to compensate,no?
Private Message Reply: 12 - 16
CHRIS211083
April 28, 2011, 11:43pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
No ive got 1" 1/2 inch clearance at the end of the trumpets that's all fine. The problem i have is to make top end 13-1 ratio i have to make idle rich and low revs lean. The needle doesn't suit but it suits better than the AAQ's that the new ABB's replaced. However the ADN's look like more what im after but you don't know till you fit them and test them, they might not even be available like the ADA's. We will see. Also i had a similar problem with this brand/type last time which is why i used the 1" better quality ram pipes as they gave better low end and better top end, they are just a better design.

esxefi, The ram pipes make the air flow smoother so more fuel stays in the air there fore less fuel is needed. The length is important because of the pulses. I wont go into it more, if your interested then read my older postings. I too use to think like you do until i tested all this. Ram pipes also can mean better mpg because of the same less fuel needed sketch. I could get 50mpg but its too much fun opening it up so instead i get 40-45ish.

Chris.

Private Message Reply: 13 - 16
CHRIS211083
April 28, 2011, 11:52pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
This might help people understand Ram pipes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueTNtwvczNY&feature=player_embedded

Enjoy,

Chris
Private Message Reply: 14 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Spitfire/GT6  ›  Cold Air Induction 3" Ram pipes .....

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread