Triumph Torque    Cars    Spitfire/GT6  ›  Road Tax Excempt Historic Vehicle
Users Browsing Forum
Baidu Spider and 9 Guests

Road Tax Excempt Historic Vehicle Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Alfie
February 20, 2014, 6:33pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.05
I have been on the gov web site to find out what year a historic vehicle becomes road tax exempt and it states vehicle manufactured before the 1st January 1973. The thing is i have seen a spitfire registered April 1973 and the owner is telling me it will become road tax exempt after April 2014, is this true and if so where on the net can i find the info.
Private Message
JohnD
February 20, 2014, 6:48pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.51

Serial Vitesse racer.

Old Blue.  1995-2001
Silverback. 2001-2007
SofS. 2007 - to date.

Private Message Reply: 1 - 24
andyfosters
February 20, 2014, 6:49pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.01
type 'rolling tax exemption' into Google, loads of info
Private Message Reply: 2 - 24
lancepar
February 20, 2014, 7:19pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.16
I don't make any differnce when it was registered it's the year of manufacture that determines if it is tax exempt or not  

And yes from April 2014 vehicles made in 1973 will become tax exempt.

Quarry Bank, West Midlands.
'72 MkIV Spitfire as nature intended.
Private Message Reply: 3 - 24
Alfie
February 20, 2014, 8:09pm Report to Moderator

Ok thanks for the links etc.

I am going to look at a chassis that has a V5 but no vin plate off the tub, is there any way i can do check of the vehicle to make sure it was not stolen some time ago and then stripped to the chassis.
Private Message Reply: 4 - 24
lancepar
February 20, 2014, 9:28pm Report to Moderator

One for the Pub Quiz.

Bit of useless info' that not a lot of peeps know is that some vehicles made in 1973 are already Tax exempt, and takers?

Private Message Reply: 5 - 24
JohnD
February 20, 2014, 10:19pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.51
Triumph never logged the chassis number, which was stamped onto a small steel plate welded to the front left outrigger.
In this position the plate is usually corroded, knocked away or otherwise unreadable.
So a V5 without the plate on the bulkhead with the Comm.No. or VIN is meaningless.

Anyway, you'll need a donor body shell, that may have a Comm.No. plate, and you may be able to get the original registartion number of that car, evne with this chassis by applying to DVLA, with an inspection from a CT official (is CT doing this?  Is it an Approved Club?)  You'll want a V765: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/261157/V765_181113.pdf and any V5 sold with the chassis is just a piece of paper.    Unless you buy and stamp your own blank Comm Plate! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-HERALD-CHASSIS-COMMISSION-NUMBER-PLATE-BLANK-CRCP318-/181294030282

John

Serial Vitesse racer.

Old Blue.  1995-2001
Silverback. 2001-2007
SofS. 2007 - to date.

Private Message Reply: 6 - 24
thescrapman
February 20, 2014, 10:48pm Report to Moderator

Colin Wake
Club Member
Club member
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Quoted from lancepar
One for the Pub Quiz.

Bit of useless info' that not a lot of peeps know is that some vehicles made in 1973 are already Tax exempt, and takers?

Electric cars.

Next!

Schadenfreude expert and collector of assorted rusty Triumphs on the Essex/Suffolk Border.

2010, 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2016 CT Navigators Championship winner.

10CR 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 2013 - RBRR 1990, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016 - Nachtrit 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012 - Chinese rally 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 - HCR 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 (3rd place), 2014. 2015, 2017

On the road.
1968 Spitfire Mk3 : 1973 TR6 : 1967 Herald 1200 Estate 1970 : 1968 Mk1 2.5PI 1968
Off the road
1967 Moss Monaco (Mk1 GT6 based) : 1970 Spitfire Mk4 : 1970 Mk2 2000 auto  : 1964 Mk1 2000  : Mk2 2.5PI
Private Message Reply: 7 - 24
Rocky
February 21, 2014, 8:20am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.01
Hi All, I am from New zealand, I have a 1964 triumph herald Coupe 1200 which has name plate attached to each doorstep.
On the nameplate it has::  TAYLOR & HALES (WOODGATE) LTD FARNHAM COMMON BUCKINGHAMSHIRE.
                                       TEL. FARNHAM COMMON 1200/4.
Can anybody tell me what this is I will try and post photo.
It appears the car was imported in 1969 already built up. Is this the name of an assembly plant?.
Any information would be much appreciated.
Thanks Rocky

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

Private Message Reply: 8 - 24
heraldcoupe
February 21, 2014, 11:15am Report to Moderator

Mid-life crisis pending
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.86
This is the dealer who supplied the car when new.
Plates like this were quite common at the time, nowadays a sticker in the back screen is what you get,

Cheers,
Bill.

Enthusiast and collector of early Heralds.

"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Site Private Message Reply: 9 - 24
lancepar
February 21, 2014, 3:26pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from thescrapman

Electric cars.

Next!

No nor tractors

The answer is,  

Vehicles made in the 1st week of January 1973.

Private Message Reply: 10 - 24
Blubayou
March 6, 2014, 6:06pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.04
Hi all,

Received my road tax renewal form today inviting me to renew my tax before 31st March for £140. It's a Jan 1973 made car so will be exempt on 1st April I believe.

I presumed it would say pay £0.

What do I do, pay the money & then claim it back?    

'73 Mk1V
Private Message Reply: 11 - 24
tiggrr1
March 6, 2014, 6:17pm Report to Moderator

Steve Thompson
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.86
I would go to the post office on April 1st with V5, MOT & Insurance documents and leave the renewal form at home

Should be as you say £0

The renewal will be computer generated and a last chance to scam you into paying for your road tax.

My infrequently updated Blog http://gtsixing.blogspot.com/

Useful GT6 Stuff -----  http://sdrv.ms/1bXwKRr

1971 Triumph GT6 MKIII  - Team Shorts  

2000 Subaru Impreza P1 335 bhp

2009 Alfa Mito 1.6 JTDM

Private Message Reply: 12 - 24
Sheepy
March 6, 2014, 6:19pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Your allowed a grace period of "x" amount of days.

Last year I did not tax my truck for nearly two weeks, (slipped my mind) and it is free tax. They never said anything.
I would wait until the start of April, then go and tax it.

Cheers
Shaun

i'm worried that when I die my wife will sell all my car parts for what I told her they were worth!  

67 MK3 spit
42 Chevy cargo truck
Some bikes (not push bikes)
Land Rover series 3 (doing it up to sell)
Belgium (I'm Binglish)
RBRR 2014 'team broom' in the renown!
Private Message Reply: 13 - 24
John Bonnett
March 6, 2014, 6:56pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.16
I'm not getting too excited about it yet. I recently spoke to the DVLA and so far they have no instructions about pre-74 vehicles becoming exempt from duty. There will be an announcement in March I understand and until then I'm not holding my breath. It would be just like the government to change their mind and not allow it.

La Coupe Florio 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-rtCbygnIM
GT6 to Spain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtFH-Q3n2Gg

Located Whiddon Down Devon
Private Message Reply: 14 - 24
cliftyhanger
March 6, 2014, 7:01pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 2.24
thinking back to when historic class started, you had to get the taxation class on the logbook changed. I think even today you have to pay tax if you put a vehicle back on the road, then send the forms off and get a refund of duty paid. All a bit hazy....but it will sort itself out.

Clive Senior

Location-Brighton, East Sussex
Foxy is here, 1500od tax exempt Toledo. Now has the decent engine back in Slant 4 engine bolted in, sprint box and axle.Now has fresh MoT. Needs paint though.
Spitfire Zetec project is started work progressing slooooowly on the road!
Private Message Reply: 15 - 24
Mr Elsie
March 6, 2014, 7:19pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.15
Tax renewal for car arrived today (tax exempt). Ref number, cliick, click, click, done.. Something satisfying about not having to pay
Private Message Reply: 16 - 24
John Bonnett
March 6, 2014, 7:46pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.16
Quoted from cliftyhanger
thinking back to when historic class started, you had to get the taxation class on the logbook changed. I think even today you have to pay tax if you put a vehicle back on the road, then send the forms off and get a refund of duty paid. All a bit hazy....but it will sort itself out.

As far as I understand it from what the DVLA told me, you send your old V5, MOT and completed V10 and in due course they will issue a new V5 with change to Historic and a tax disc. In my case because my car was registered in 1974 I'll have to send the heritage certificate as well.

La Coupe Florio 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-rtCbygnIM
GT6 to Spain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtFH-Q3n2Gg

Located Whiddon Down Devon
Private Message Reply: 17 - 24
CHRIS211083
March 6, 2014, 10:55pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.02
When I first put spiddy on the road I had to send off the original log book (1966) and the v5 came back as a payable road tax. I then took it to the local DVLA office (all been closed now) and they changed the tax bracket to historic vehicle and I got the tax disc for free. Job done and the new v5 turned up two weeks later stating historic vehicle. Boy did that feel good. I suppose you will have to fill in a form and send it away now. God knows how long it will take.

Chris.
Private Message Reply: 18 - 24
plk21e
March 7, 2014, 8:40am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.03
I did the same last year for my 67 spitfire,went to the dvla office in Dundee with mot and log book filled in a form and new log book arrived in the post.seemingly these local offices are now closed so the process could take a while now
Private Message Reply: 19 - 24
DougBGT6
March 13, 2014, 9:42pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.63
The finance bill got Royal accent last year which makes it law and it WILL happen on April 1st. I phoned DVLA last year, they told me enter "Historic" in the changes to V5 section on the V5. Take it to the post office with your MOT, (you no longer need to show proof of insurance). The PO will give you a free tax disc and will take your V5 and send it to the DVLA who will send an amended V5. I did not completely believe this so double checked with my local PO and yes, it's all true!
Private Message Reply: 20 - 24
tim_trinda
March 26, 2014, 12:20pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Copied from the TR Register website:

Rolling exemption for TR Road Tax

When the chancellor rolled out the red briefcase on March 19th 2014 to deliver the budget there was some good news for beer drinkers with a small reduction in duty but as he stood proudly outside number 11 there was even better news for owners of post 1974 TR’s with the introduction of a 40 year rolling Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) exemption for classic vehicles.

Previously, owners of TR2 – 5 and some early TR6’s for example were exempt from VED under the previous classification of Historic Vehicles manufactured before 1st January 1973.

The budget in 2013 announced a measure to extend the scope of the Vehicle Excise Duty exemption to historic vehicles by one additional year. This measure comes into force on the 1st April 2014 and allows vehicles manufactured before 1st January 1974 to be added to the exemption category.

The latest Budget announcement however goes one step further to introduce a 40 year rolling exemption to be legislated in the Finance Bill 2014. This will however, not apply until 1st April 2015. Thereafter the cut-off date will be rolled forward by one year on every 1st April in each subsequent Finance Bill. This should mean for instance, that on April 1st 2016 the first of the 4-speed Speke built TR7’s would qualify for Vehicle Exercise Duty exemption as historic vehicles.

The news will be warmly welcomed by TR owners but doesn’t come without its complexities. Commenting on the news FBHVC Legislation Director, Bob Owen said, “While we welcome the fact that our campaign for a rolling exemption has finally borne fruit and that the efforts we have taken in providing research based information to government have been taken into account in the making of this decision, we view the 40 year cut-off as anomalous given that the generally accepted definition of a historic vehicle across Europe is 30 years. We have also noted that the procedure introduced by DVLA to implement the announcement in the 2013 Budget of extension of exemption pre-1974 vehicles on 1st April of this year has the effect that any qualifying vehicle for which VED has already paid in respect of any month or months after 1st April this year, financial benefit from the exemption will be obtainable only from 1st May 2014. FBHVC is questioning this administrative approach, which does not appear to reflect the 2013 Budget announcement, and will be asking if this administrative anomaly is intended by DVLA to be rolled forward along with the rolling exemption. We would suggest that this arrangement in effect provides DVLA with revenue to which it is not entitled and we do not believe this could have been the Chancellor’s intention.”

TR Register members looking to take advantage of the rolling VED will have to do some work in order to qualify, as it is understood that the DVLA will not be automatically issuing “free tax discs”. The paperwork will be up to TR owners.

TR owners will need to change an eligible vehicles taxation class on the V5C and V10 forms, which can be downloaded from the DVLA website or obtained from the Post Office. Section 7 of the V5C contains a box relating to tax class and you will have to enter the word ‘Historic’ and sign the declaration. Additionally, TR owners will need to fill out the V10 Tax Application form once again stating “historic” in the tax class and enclose the vehicles current MoT and certificate of insurance. The DVLA assures the TR Register that in most cases these documents should be returned within one month. If a refund on a tax disc already paid is required then this can also be applied for by using the V14 form.

But what if the registration date is later than the build date? TR owners will need to provide proof of manufacturing date, which could take the form of a Heritage certificate.

To download the DVLA forms visit http://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms

To read the HM Revenue and Customs document: http://www.gov.uk/government/u.....lassic_vehicles_.pdf

Good luck!!

Tim

'70 GT6 Mk2 HCR 2008, HCR 2011
'73 TR6 RBRR 2010 (DNF), IAE 2011
'76 TR7 V8 IAE 2012 RBRR 2012 HCR 2013 IAE 2013
Private Message Reply: 21 - 24
Alfie
March 26, 2014, 3:42pm Report to Moderator

I belive its when the car was manufactured not registered and at the moment DVLA use the month January as the datam month so as long as the gov update the tax exempt year and your car was manufactured before the month of January you should be ok.
Private Message Reply: 22 - 24
Brendan The Spit
March 26, 2014, 10:03pm Report to Moderator

Yaay, take it up the Kop Hill Climb! http://www.kophillclimb.org.uk/

I'll be entering in three years...

Sorry, which is the 'big end' again?
Private Message Reply: 23 - 24
DougBGT6
March 27, 2014, 9:39am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.63
Some confusion as to when the new rollover is, other web sites appear to have copied one piece from the Honest John web site were this came from, unknown.  I emailed Greg Knight who is the MP that persuaded the DVLA that cars pre 1960 don't need an MOT. He said this.

Thank you for your Email.

The All party Parliamentary Historic Vehicles Group has been campaigning for the rolling exemption to be returned and I am delighted that Chancellor George Osborne, who is a good friend of the classic car movement, has re-introduced this welcome change.  It is good news indeed to have a Chancellor of the Exchequer for once who is not anti-motor car.  This, coupled with the scrapping and freezing of fuel duty rises is a great help to the historic vehicle movement.

The rollover comes into force this year for cars that are 40 years old thus, as you summize, cars built before the 1st January 1974 are tax exempt from this April and thereafter, each year it will move forward one year.  

I would assume that the rollover will move in April, but as you rightly say, we have not yet debated the Finance Act and so these finer details will have to await scrutiny.  However, the House of Commons has already passed the ‘Provisional Collection of Taxes’ resolution which brings into effect all Budget changes which are then ratified when the Finance Act itself becomes law.

Regards

Rt Hon Sir Greg Knight MP

Private Message Reply: 24 - 24
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Spitfire/GT6  ›  Road Tax Excempt Historic Vehicle

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread