Paula's Vitesse! :: Triumph Torque

RH Classic Insurance

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Paula's Vitesse!
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Paula's Vitesse!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

Paula's Vitesse! Print
68 Pages « ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... » All Recommend Thread
Paula
January 18, 2017, 8:50pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.20
So another cable from the back of the alternator to the battery?
Like this? (Dotted line)

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

Vitesse 6 Saloon  "Feargal" (Sharkey)
Site Private Message Reply: 255 - 1011
Matt306
January 18, 2017, 8:57pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Quoted from Paula

Thanks! I have bought a kit that included the bracket and the alternator. I'm confused about this bit in the blog:

anything greater than 25amp and you'll need to add an extra wire back to the battery.

I have an extra fuse box that i was going to use for the stereo and anything else i might add. Can't think of what though.

Basically your new alternator can bung far greater power back at tick over than the dynamo. An extra (thick 27amp) wire back to the battery or live side of the starter solenoid will save overloading the single 50 year old brown wire going from the dynamo.

When you have the alternator fitted fit a pair of relays and fuses for dip and main beam. A replacement of the sealed beam unit works a treat too, take it from someone who did it before the RBRR.

Worcestershire Area Organiser search Facebook for Club Triumph Worcester
Triumph 13/60 1970 Convertible  first car restoration, many botches much learnt... Now back MOTd and Taxed... 2016 RBRR COMPLETE
1974 Spitfire Mk IV in Yellow and Rust... for restoration
Triumph 1000cc 1991 Daytona got to go to pay for Yellow Peril
Private Message Reply: 256 - 1011
Matt306
January 18, 2017, 8:59pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
That will work (your dotted line) you may find two large spade terminals on the back of the alternator just run the new wire of one of the big spade terminals. The smaller terminal should be the charging wire (for your dash light)

The "Electricity for stuff" feed can go to a fuse box. In reality I think it goes to the ignition switch then to white wires to the equipment. I think I ran the feed from the switch (white wires) to the fuse box, I soldered extra wire on to the white cables, heat shrunk the cables then attached them to the other side of the  fuse box.

Get a decent crimping tool for the terminals http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/470/category/87 if you haven't already. Cheaper options are available.

Triumph 13/60 1970 Convertible  first car restoration, many botches much learnt... Now back MOTd and Taxed... 2016 RBRR COMPLETE
Private Message Reply: 257 - 1011
Paula
January 18, 2017, 9:14pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Brilliant!
I feel ready!!
Watch this space!

Site Private Message Reply: 258 - 1011
Paula
January 18, 2017, 9:17pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from Matt306

Basically your new alternator can bung far greater power back at tick over than the dynamo. An extra (thick 27amp) wire back to the battery or live side of the starter solenoid will save overloading the single 50 year old brown wire going from the dynamo.

When you have the alternator fitted fit a pair of relays and fuses for dip and main beam. A replacement of the sealed beam unit works a treat too, take it from someone who did it before the RBRR.

Ok. I'll put it on the ever growing list!
Along with doing the RBRR one day!

Site Private Message Reply: 259 - 1011
Matt306
January 18, 2017, 9:24pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from Paula

Ok. I'll put it on the ever growing list!
Along with doing the RBRR one day!

My first was this year and it was a fantastic experience, driving through Scotland with a trail of 6 cylinder Triumph cars stuck behind my little Herald 1300cc convertible!

I am now planning my 2018 trip, on the list to do is overdrive I might not hold up those big cars up so much

Private Message Reply: 260 - 1011
Paula
January 19, 2017, 5:25pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Success!
That took me all day, but it all works great. The car idles perfect now (it was struggling with the lights on)
I fitted a retro stereo with super subtle speaker position.
Covered the Kick panels in acoustic black fabric.
Very pleased! (feel a bit smart too as i've never done anything like that before)

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

Site Private Message Reply: 261 - 1011
Paula
January 19, 2017, 6:34pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
There is now a whistling noise now though. Bit annoying. I checked the belt and that's ok.
Is it just what an alternator sounds like? It's brand new.

Site Private Message Reply: 262 - 1011
Pete Lewis
January 19, 2017, 6:59pm Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Paula  back tomthe sender,   top of canleys page theres a search magnify glass  you can search there

Canleys

Home Catalogues Shop Online New & Featured Products Archive 

Buy OnlinePart DiagramsMore...

TEMP TRANS NOT STABALIZED

Part Number : 121997

Price :  (£4.25 ex VAT) EACH
Availability : IN STOCK

Quantity

-+

ack to the sender

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 263 - 1011
Paula
January 19, 2017, 7:33pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from Pete Lewis
Paula  back tomthe sender,   top of canleys page theres a search magnify glass  you can search there

Canleys

Home Catalogues Shop Online New & Featured Products Archive 

Buy OnlinePart DiagramsMore...

TEMP TRANS NOT STABALIZED

Part Number : 121997

Price :  (£4.25 ex VAT) EACH
Availability : IN STOCK

Quantity

-+

ack to the sender

That's the temp sender though. I need the fuel one.
I'm probably going to get a 2000 gauge and stabiliser. Seems easier. I'll get on the phone and ring around. I want a nice looking one, so it might be too expensive for me at the mo.

Site Private Message Reply: 264 - 1011
Matt306
January 19, 2017, 9:57pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Whistling... sure its not from the radio? May need a suppressor?

Private Message Reply: 265 - 1011
Paula
January 19, 2017, 10:12pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from Matt306
Whistling... sure its not from the radio? May need a suppressor?

No it's the alternator or the belt. the belt that came with the kit is toothed, i thought that might be it.

Site Private Message Reply: 266 - 1011
RobPearce
January 20, 2017, 8:12am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.42
A toothed belt shouldn't whistle, unless it's over-tight or running more load than a fanbelt should. Rubber cam belts on some relatively modern engines sometimes whine, but they're toothed onto toothed wheels.
I've certainly heard radios whistle as a result of something the alternator does to the supply. I have also heard a faint whistling from some modern alternators. This is usually because, unlike the original Lucas units the Triumph fitted to later cars, the modern ones save on heat dissipation in the regulator electronics by driving the field coil with a PWM signal. Actually, that's exactly the same as the thermo-electric voltage "stabiliser", but instead of switching every couple of seconds, the PWM in an alternator runs at several kiloHertz. This perturbs the winding at that same frequency, which causes it to vibrate and make a whistling sound (especially if the winding is not glued as well as it might be).
I don't recall where you got your alternator, or what type it is. If it whistles loud enough to be annoying then I'd raise it with the supplier.

Current fleet
1967 Vitesse 2L conv "Tessa"
1970 Spitfire Mk3 (project) "Toby"
1972 GT6 Mk3
Not enough time or space
Recently sold:
1972 2.5 PI estate "Harry" (gone to russell on here)
1973 Toledo 2-door "Spike" (gone to a club official)
Used to have:
1968 Vitesse 2L saloon
1980 Dolomite 1500
1977 Dolomite 1850
1980 Dolomite Sprint
1982 TR7 DHC Sprint
1975 2500S saloon
1971 Herald 13/60 Estate (with 1500 Spit engine)
1975 Stag
Private Message Reply: 267 - 1011
Paula
January 20, 2017, 9:49am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from RobPearce
A toothed belt shouldn't whistle, unless it's over-tight or running more load than a fanbelt should. Rubber cam belts on some relatively modern engines sometimes whine, but they're toothed onto toothed wheels.
I've certainly heard radios whistle as a result of something the alternator does to the supply. I have also heard a faint whistling from some modern alternators. This is usually because, unlike the original Lucas units the Triumph fitted to later cars, the modern ones save on heat dissipation in the regulator electronics by driving the field coil with a PWM signal. Actually, that's exactly the same as the thermo-electric voltage "stabiliser", but instead of switching every couple of seconds, the PWM in an alternator runs at several kiloHertz. This perturbs the winding at that same frequency, which causes it to vibrate and make a whistling sound (especially if the winding is not glued as well as it might be).
I don't recall where you got your alternator, or what type it is. If it whistles loud enough to be annoying then I'd raise it with the supplier.

It is the same whistling you hear with modern cars. Maybe because it's a new noise it's more noticeable.
I'll give it a day or 2 and see if it still bothers me. It's a brand new Lucas Type - 17 ACR - 36 amp Alternator from Rimmers.

Site Private Message Reply: 268 - 1011
Paula
January 20, 2017, 9:58am Report to Moderator

Club Member
I found an youtube video of the same whistle.
https://youtu.be/BBqHWsmvJV4

Site Private Message Reply: 269 - 1011
68 Pages « ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... » All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Paula's Vitesse!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread