Paula's Vitesse! :: Triumph Torque

Triumph Parts Sign up for our Newsletter Rimmer Bros

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Paula's Vitesse!
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Paula's Vitesse!
Users Browsing Forum
Baidu Spider and 26 Guests

Paula's Vitesse! Print
69 Pages « ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... » All Recommend Thread
Pete Lewis
January 21, 2017, 12:43pm Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.79
to me thats a pretty normal alternator whine , yes depends on the generation but the diodes or whatever can give  a quite intense howl, whine  just like yours  ,,  

vee belts can give a squealing and sometimes a tin tappng squeaky racket but thats not what you have

there are aerosols of stuff like belt ease to dress the belt whithout loosing grip,  keep an eye out for its useful at odd times

talc powder will also quieten a noisy belt which is more suited to your cuboard.

great stuff to trace oil leaks  ,, dust the pwder and the leak will trace through and show its source...can smell nice too !!!

Pete

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 285 - 1024
Paula
January 21, 2017, 1:00pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Quoted from JohnD
A dry bearing?  Do Rimmers expect it to wet itself?

Seems an unsatisfactory answer (I presume they supplied the alternator?) instead of an offer to replace.
Send it back?

John

I'll see how it goes and if it doesn't improve i'll get them to send another one.

Vitesse 6 Saloon  "Feargal" (Sharkey)
Site Private Message Reply: 286 - 1024
Paula
January 21, 2017, 1:01pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from daver clasper
Hi Paula

I'm interested in your dynamo and V/R.

Is it ok to PM you

Dave

Yes of course!

Site Private Message Reply: 287 - 1024
Paula
January 21, 2017, 1:01pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from CyTry
My Spitfire (1980) whistles when I have the headlights on. Frequency varies with engine speed.  All belts etc. are tight, it's the alternator itself.  It's not annoying, sometimes I pretend it's a turbocharger...

Exactly like mine!

Site Private Message Reply: 288 - 1024
Paula
January 21, 2017, 1:03pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from Pete Lewis
to me thats a pretty normal alternator whine , yes depends on the generation but the diodes or whatever can give  a quite intense howl, whine  just like yours  ,,  

vee belts can give a squealing and sometimes a tin tappng squeaky racket but thats not what you have

there are aerosols of stuff like belt ease to dress the belt whithout loosing grip,  keep an eye out for its useful at odd times

talc powder will also quieten a noisy belt which is more suited to your cuboard.

great stuff to trace oil leaks  ,, dust the pwder and the leak will trace through and show its source...can smell nice too !!!

Pete

Top tip!

Site Private Message Reply: 289 - 1024
daver clasper
January 21, 2017, 7:18pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Quoted from Paula

Yes of course!

Thanks. Have PM ed you

Cheers Dave

Private Message Reply: 290 - 1024
ferny
January 22, 2017, 8:42am Report to Moderator

Mr Hoppy!
Club Officer
Club member
Posts Per Day: 2.57
The alternator shouldn't whine, or screech. The noise you hear on modern cars is either the power steering pump (Mini's) or cam belt. The one in my Herald makes it sound like a mini-supercharger. Honest.

Look down the line of all the pulleys. Are they perfectly aligned? A possibility for noise is that the alternator pulley isn't perfectly in line with the other two and you're hearing it run on the outside edge of the belt which will slip compared to running on both of its outer sides. Feel free to hold a straight edge up against the pulleys to assist your eyes. My money is on this being the issue.

If all is fine then stick a long screwdriver on your water pump and the other end on your ear when running and see if it sounds like it's coming from there. Drop the belt off and spin the pulleys on both the water pump and alternator and do so again whilst putting load on them. You're looking for anything which doesn't feel constantly smooth. I'm saying this as before everything may have been "loose" and if you've now got everything correct it may be showing up weaknesses on things like the water pump.

Release agents on the belt should have been worn off by now si if it's none of the above... your alternator is buggered. Possibly.

Acclaim - fully working and on the road
13/60 Herald - mx5 powered and other such fun things, legal enough...
Mk1 2000 - it's still alive, just sleeping
Expert 815d - the slug

If in doubt, do up until you hear the crack and then go another 1/4 turn to ensure tightness.
Site Private Message Windows Live Messenger Skype Reply: 291 - 1024
Pete Lewis
January 22, 2017, 7:25pm Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.79
The kit has a lucas 17ACR unit  it will whine and sing  they all do and always did in their heyday
its a normal characteristics of the vintage

from your video I would be more interested in the tappet noise  you can improve that

gaps are 0.010" cold engine   how to details in your manual    

pete

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 292 - 1024
Paula
January 23, 2017, 9:33am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from ferny
The alternator shouldn't whine, or screech. The noise you hear on modern cars is either the power steering pump (Mini's) or cam belt. The one in my Herald makes it sound like a mini-supercharger. Honest.

Look down the line of all the pulleys. Are they perfectly aligned? A possibility for noise is that the alternator pulley isn't perfectly in line with the other two and you're hearing it run on the outside edge of the belt which will slip compared to running on both of its outer sides. Feel free to hold a straight edge up against the pulleys to assist your eyes. My money is on this being the issue.

If all is fine then stick a long screwdriver on your water pump and the other end on your ear when running and see if it sounds like it's coming from there. Drop the belt off and spin the pulleys on both the water pump and alternator and do so again whilst putting load on them. You're looking for anything which doesn't feel constantly smooth. I'm saying this as before everything may have been "loose" and if you've now got everything correct it may be showing up weaknesses on things like the water pump.

Release agents on the belt should have been worn off by now si if it's none of the above... your alternator is buggered. Possibly.

Thanks!
I got the big ruler out and it all looks spot on.
I'll look more when i get chance and the weather improves a bit!

Site Private Message Reply: 293 - 1024
Paula
January 23, 2017, 9:34am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from Pete Lewis
The kit has a lucas 17ACR unit  it will whine and sing  they all do and always did in their heyday
its a normal characteristics of the vintage

from your video I would be more interested in the tappet noise  you can improve that

gaps are 0.010" cold engine   how to details in your manual    

pete

I'll stick it on the list!

Site Private Message Reply: 294 - 1024
daver clasper
January 23, 2017, 2:33pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Hi Paula

I PMed you again. Not sure if you got it.

Dave
Private Message Reply: 295 - 1024
Paula
January 23, 2017, 6:44pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from daver clasper
Hi Paula

I PMed you again. Not sure if you got it.

Dave

Just replied.

Site Private Message Reply: 296 - 1024
Paula
January 23, 2017, 7:01pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Had an interesting one today.
I drove to my Dads in Hertfordshire about 80 miles. When i got there i turned the engine off for about 5 mins and it refused to start again. Turning over and not firing at all.
We went for lunch and i tried again over an hour later and still no joy. I left it another 5 mins and tried again and it eventually started.
I drove it to the petrol station and filled it up . It only took 16 litres.
It was then fine.
I drove it all the way home, which was probably less miles but more time in traffic.
When i got home i tried turning it off and on again after various gaps and it's fine.
I did stop and Mooredale Motors and spoke to Dale. Who said he'd have to book it in.
Bloody thing.
I meant to show him the Alternator but i forgot.

Site Private Message Reply: 297 - 1024
JohnD
January 23, 2017, 8:11pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.51
Might be fuel vaporisation.   Heat radiated or conducted from exhaust manifold cause fuel I supply lines and or float chambers to boil.   Doesn't happen on the move as airflow helps cooling.

A heat barrier between them can help, a sheet of alloy between the carbs and manifold, wide enough to screen the floats.  And make sure the supply inevruns around thgthge front of the engine, preferably not touching the block.

John

Serial Vitesse racer.

Old Blue.  1995-2001
Silverback. 2001-2007
SofS. 2007 - to date.

Private Message Reply: 298 - 1024
Paula
January 23, 2017, 9:25pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from JohnD
Might be fuel vaporisation.   Heat radiated or conducted from exhaust manifold cause fuel I supply lines and or float chambers to boil.   Doesn't happen on the move as airflow helps cooling.

A heat barrier between them can help, a sheet of alloy between the carbs and manifold, wide enough to screen the floats.  And make sure the supply inevruns around thgthge front of the engine, preferably not touching the block.

John

That's interesting. Like a bit of aluminium?

Site Private Message Reply: 299 - 1024
69 Pages « ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... » All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Paula's Vitesse!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread