Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 15 Guests

71 GT6 Resto Print
3 Pages « 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
DavidGT71
June 29, 2017, 4:05pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.09
Quoted from Mk3Mark.

Go on spill the beans, what colour will it be?

Not OE but the Memsaab has chosen Midnight Blue, BL/Triumph blue, very dark, She wanted it black but 1 black car in the family is enough.
Private Message Reply: 15 - 35
DavidGT71
June 29, 2017, 4:07pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from daedalusminos
No matter, you're doing good remedial work. Also your lead loading of the B-post looks spot-on.

Thanks, had a bit of practise over the years  

Private Message Reply: 16 - 35
DavidGT71
July 5, 2017, 12:51pm Report to Moderator

So not much to show for the last few days apart from prep work, sanding and grinding, and more sanding, you get the picture.

Managed to get the tub on the rotisserie though, adapted the Mustang brackets without too much work, and make the job a lot easier.

Private Message Reply: 17 - 35
DavidGT71
July 17, 2017, 9:22am Report to Moderator

So another milestone so to speak.
Been a long dirty 2 weeks or so of finish welding, grinding and sanding to to get to this.

Private Message Reply: 18 - 35
DavidGT71
July 17, 2017, 9:24am Report to Moderator

The inside was more of a pig due to all of the sharp edges and bits designed to cut and stab you on purpose.

Private Message Reply: 19 - 35
DavidGT71
July 17, 2017, 9:32am Report to Moderator

However it does mean I was able to get a good coat of epoxy sealer/primer everywhere, a great base ready for filling and shaping.
This was the Mipa product, I usually use the Lechler epoxy LS107, however a mate recommended the Mipa,. Goes on well but dries flat, even though is still soft to touch till dry. The Lechler has a sheen finish, clear and tintable which I think I prefer. The Mipa comes black, and by f does it stain the skin, the glove had a small split and nothing is shifting this paint, I suppose its a good recommendation that it will be good on the car.

Private Message Reply: 20 - 35
yorkshire_spam
July 17, 2017, 10:54am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.86
looking awesome!
Private Message Reply: 21 - 35
DavidGT71
July 17, 2017, 11:38am Report to Moderator

Quoted from yorkshire_spam
looking awesome!

Thanks, still got the doors to do but they are easy peasy, so glad the bonnet is new and don't have to strip that.

David
Private Message Reply: 22 - 35
daedalusminos
July 17, 2017, 12:20pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.11
Very nice work, I'm a couple of steps (years) behind and just designing the rotisserie. How high up is your CG from the bulkhead mounting brackets?
Private Message Reply: 23 - 35
DavidGT71
July 17, 2017, 12:47pm Report to Moderator

Very nice work, I'm a couple of steps (years) behind and just designing the rotisserie. How high up is your CG from the bulkhead mounting brackets?

I will have a measure tonight.
It is pretty close, I can swing the body with one hand.

Its a very heavy duty rotisserie, I built it to cope with a 66 Mustang, so if there are any slight misalignments the structure doesn't move.
I should imaging if you build a lighter weight one then the C of G would need to be perfect to avoid any movement or twisting I would have thought.

Regards

Private Message Reply: 24 - 35
daedalusminos
July 17, 2017, 3:55pm Report to Moderator

That will be great!

Since my chassis is twisted, I plan to make a sub-chassis to mount the tub on to repair. This will sit below the floorplans and therefore lower the CG but your dimension will give me a maximum height.

What steel dins did you make yours from? I'm planning 70mm x 70mm x 3mm
Private Message Reply: 25 - 35
DavidGT71
July 17, 2017, 8:12pm Report to Moderator

That will be great!

Since my chassis is twisted, I plan to make a sub-chassis to mount the tub on to repair. This will sit below the floorplans and therefore lower the CG but your dimension will give me a maximum height.

Hi
The front measurement from the CL of the pivot to the bottom of the front mountings ( if that makes sense) is 14"
From the CL of the rear pivot to the centre of the rear bumper mounts is 4"
This brings both rotisserie pivots CL in line.
I think it is slightly bottom heavy, but only slightly so you could reduce these measurements by 1/2 to 1" but is would be trial and error.

Not sure if you have done many of these before but even with a roof I wouldn't rebuild on a rotisserie. Always rebuild it from a level you know is correct. I have a square adjustable frame made from 9x6 steel I section, I can pull the side in and move the ends about to accommodate most vehicles, this way all measurements are taken from this so you know they will be the same o/s and n/s and front to back.
If you cant do this then I would suggest getting the chassis you are going to use, check it for level and square and build from this but use steel or solid packers, not rubber etc.
The last thing you want is to weld it on a rotisserie and find it pulls out of shape when bolting back onto the chassis.

I can get some more dims tomorrow on the box section.

Cheers

David

Private Message Reply: 26 - 35
daedalusminos
July 19, 2017, 4:52pm Report to Moderator

Excellent, thanks for that, it'll give me a starting dimension for the CG.

I'll be heavily cross bracing the shell on the flat so hopefully repair on sub-chassis should be OK......fingers crossed
Private Message Reply: 27 - 35
DavidGT71
July 20, 2017, 8:03am Report to Moderator

Slow progress, only managed to get the seam sealing done inside and out, but made sure I got the most important seams and joints covered with my fav sealer, 3M 2k, fantastic sealer, modern OE finish I know but the best on the market.

Once ready the floor will get a coat of grey Raptor stone chip / bed liner then we are going to finish it body colour.

Private Message Reply: 28 - 35
DavidGT71
July 20, 2017, 8:10am Report to Moderator

That will be great!

Here you go

Left the bit of paper at home with the dims on, but I seem to remember these were 80mm and 70mm, I think the 80mm was approx. 2.5 or 3mm, leaving a nice gap to allow the inner box to slide in.
I think I went to 3-4mm for the 70 mm as these would be taking most of the bending force. Anyway its kin heavy but extremely safe and solid. The triangulated box supports are 50mm x 2.5mm

The pivot tubes I have a ptfe strip bearing each end of the pivot tube, most home jobbies I see are just greased metal to metal, with the 3-4mm ptfe strip bearing I can replace this at any time if it wears and it also means I don't have cacking grease around the car while doing the body work and it rotates nice and smooth.

Cheers

David

Private Message Reply: 29 - 35
3 Pages « 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Spitfire/GT6  ›  71 GT6 Resto

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread