Triumph Torque    Cars    Spitfire/GT6  ›  71 GT6 Resto
Users Browsing Forum

71 GT6 Resto Print
5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » All Recommend Thread
DavidGT71
November 14, 2017, 3:35pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.10
Just a few more,

This is why I always like to block new panels, ideally in polyester, no new panel is perfect and ready to fit.

Private Message Reply: 45 - 61
BiTurbo228
November 14, 2017, 4:05pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.50
Excellent work, and really valuable stuff as I've got all of this to come in the next few weeks!

So, let me get the process right (correct me if I'm wrong!). First pass of epoxy primer followed by filler (P40 waterproof stuff or polyester?), followed by a second coat of epoxy primer to and another batch of polyester filling to sort out the remaining rippley bits.

I've always been somewhat wary of polyester fillers having taken a great plate of the stuff off my old door skin hiding a completely rusted out panel (lovely work though, no idea it was there before it fell off...)

1974 Triumph Spitfire 6 project
1973 Triumph Spitfire Slant 4 pre-project
1978 Triumph Spitfire (not sure of the plan yet)
1992 Jaguar XJ40 4.0l manual
1989 Jaguar XJ40 3.6 (parts car, squashed by a tree)
1999 Alfa 156 V6
1992 Citroen BX 19 TXD
1996 Lada Niva
1998 MG F VVT
1972 MG B GT (will be a Baja B eventually)

Spit6 photobucket: http://s12.photobucket.com/user/simon_storeyBiTurbo228/library/
Private Message Reply: 46 - 61
DavidGT71
November 14, 2017, 4:31pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from BiTurbo228
Excellent work, and really valuable stuff as I've got all of this to come in the next few weeks!

So, let me get the process right (correct me if I'm wrong!). First pass of epoxy primer followed by filler (P40 waterproof stuff or polyester?), followed by a second coat of epoxy primer to and another batch of polyester filling to sort out the remaining rippley bits.

I've always been somewhat wary of polyester fillers having taken a great plate of the stuff off my old door skin hiding a completely rusted out panel (lovely work though, no idea it was there before it fell off...)

Depends on your situation, If its long term then I have epoxied all the bare metal and then filled, means the bare metal is protected. You can fill quite safely on top of epoxy, well the ones I use. Should have said I do all the lead work first before any paint.

I then seal with another thin coat of epoxy if most of it has been rubbed off in the sanding process, use it as a sealer. If most of it is intact I would then spot seal/prime with it then apply the polyester.

I am real careful with the poly not to get it damp or wet, regardless of people saying you can wet flat, you can but then bake it dry. I wont take the chance so don't get it wet.

Once the poly is rubbed I coat it again with a grip and wet coat of epoxy sealer, only thin enough to seal the poly.

Undercoat and wet flat, then shiny bit.

Hope that helps explain, people will have different regimes, this is just the one that works best for me and given me the best trouble free results

Same process on this recent 5 year resto of mine

Private Message Reply: 47 - 61
Mk3Mark.
November 14, 2017, 5:28pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.03
Superb work David,i can see this is going to be one very nice GT6 when finished. When do you hope to apply the Midnight Blue? Cheers Mark.
Private Message Reply: 48 - 61
RedRooster
November 14, 2017, 5:45pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.40
DavidGT71,
very blue engine, so must be a 302?

RR

GT6 Mk3, the Rooster    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8W1XSjFB6g  tune on the radio the first time it broke down, 5 miles after i bought it
http://www.triumph-club-de-fra.....estauration-dune-gt6  
Private Message Reply: 49 - 61
DavidGT71
November 14, 2017, 6:43pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from Mk3Mark.
Superb work David,i can see this is going to be one very nice GT6 when finished. When do you hope to apply the Midnight Blue? Cheers Mark.

If it goes to plan I hope later this year, so that's January then
Private Message Reply: 50 - 61
DavidGT71
November 14, 2017, 6:46pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from RedRooster
DavidGT71,
very blue engine, so must be a 302?

RR

It's a 289, it is a factory GT so kept it std with a 289.
Ford Corporate blue, and Ford tractor blue, not very exotic or racy but as close as I could get it to the 66 shade
Private Message Reply: 51 - 61
DavidGT71
December 17, 2017, 12:03am Report to Moderator

So hours of polyester rubbing, bits I missed and it was ready at last for some high build primer
I gave the areas broken thru to bare metal another coat of sealer, for a bit of added protection and better adhesion.
As you can imagine with all the edges the bulkhead needed a lot.

Private Message Reply: 52 - 61
DavidGT71
December 17, 2017, 12:14am Report to Moderator

Then it was 1 grip and 3 full wet coats. Don't normally put that much on but I tend to be a little heavy handed on full restos when wet flatting so I needed the build to make sure.
A few areas of seam sealer to do and the top is ready for gloss.
I will get it on the rotisserie next and stone chip and paint the underside and then the inside, especially where you can see body colour. The majority of the inside may just get on wet coat as I intend to fit dyna mat or similar so I wont be wasting expensive top coat only just to get covered up.

Private Message Reply: 53 - 61
drofgum
December 18, 2017, 12:13am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.35
Quoted from DavidGT71
The majority of the inside may just get on wet coat as I intend to fit dyna mat or similar so I wont be wasting expensive top coat only just to get covered up.

David,
Twenty-five years ago I had my Spitfire painted. They did as you are suggesting and didn't use top coat on the areas which would subsequently be covered by the trim. It seems the colour coat isn't as good a sealer as the top coat. The colour only areas have suffered from rust much worse that the areas which got top coated.
                                                                                          Best of luck,
                                                                                          Paul
Private Message Reply: 54 - 61
DavidGT71
December 18, 2017, 7:57am Report to Moderator

Quoted from drofgum

David,
Twenty-five years ago I had my Spitfire painted. They did as you are suggesting and didn't use top coat on the areas which would subsequently be covered by the trim. It seems the colour coat isn't as good a sealer as the top coat. The colour only areas have suffered from rust much worse that the areas which got top coated.
                                                                                          Best of luck,
                                                                                          Paul

Hi Paul
There was a typo there from me, it should have said one coat, the inside and all areas have already had a couple of good coats of epoxy sealer, the areas that show will get a couple of coats of the final finish, but the floors etc where I'm going to use the sound deadening, dynamat etc will only get one application of top coat. Paint is so expensive now, don't want to waste it on a covered up area. Also the epoxy sealers are so good they would be good enough on their own under the sound proofing but it just a bit of belt and braces type.

That's a nice long term ownership of your car, 25 years.

Cheers

David
Private Message Reply: 55 - 61
DavidGT71
January 18, 2018, 11:22am Report to Moderator

Progress has been a bit slow, got the tub back on the rotisserie and found quite a bit of stopping and minor making good under the sills and lower areas, I must learn to bend lower when doing work.

So that's all done and re-primed.

Put a good 3ltrs of stone chip underneath to give good protection, touching up any bare metal areas with epoxy first, and then the first colour coat.
So on with 2k colour, it is going to be the wife's and she refused point blank to drive it if it is yellow, and suggested a dark or midnight blue we did a few samples of earlier. I love yellow cars, she hates them, so we came to a happy compromise, Midnight Blue.

Private Message Reply: 56 - 61
Mk3Mark.
January 18, 2018, 7:07pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.03
Looking good David,really looking forward to seeing the rest of the body in colour.
Private Message Reply: 57 - 61
Nick Jones
January 18, 2018, 8:28pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
That's a too familar sight though much shinier than mine!

Looking good - bring on the next instalment

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 58 - 61
DavidGT71
January 18, 2018, 10:27pm Report to Moderator

Thanks gents, if all goes well I may get the inside glossed this weekend and start blocking the primer.
The wife is away till Sunday night so a few late nights and no domestic duties, result
Private Message Reply: 59 - 61
5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Spitfire/GT6  ›  71 GT6 Resto

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread