NOS asbestos brake pads on Ebay :: Triumph Torque

RH Classic Insurance

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
NOS asbestos brake pads on Ebay
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Chit Chat Boards    Technical Chit-Chat  ›  NOS asbestos brake pads on Ebay
Users Browsing Forum
Slowdown and 12 Guests

NOS asbestos brake pads on Ebay Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
glang
July 28, 2017, 11:34am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.61
This guy has some NOS asbestos brake pads that should fit late GT6/TR6s and I believe by opening the pin holes will also fit Vitesse 2L and earlier GT6s. I contacted him and he sent the pics below so at 9 quid a throw delivered I thought Id give em a go to see if theyre an improvement on standard modern stuff.
Disclaimer: Ive not no connection with the seller and take no responsibility for this information or items listed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD.....8:g:HH8AAOSwjL5ZB3Ex

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

Private Message
1968Vitesse25
July 28, 2017, 2:18pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.40
Brake manufacturers are still trying to find as good all round a material as asbestos was for brakes.
Private Message Reply: 1 - 8
Hogie
July 28, 2017, 2:27pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Hi Folks,
              no matter how good a brake material it is you will be exposing yourself and others to a rather dangerous material.

Even big industry were banned from using it.  
Back in the 90's British Airways wanted new rudders for Concorde. They had to be made with a modern adhesive. This created new problems,

Reconsider using these brakes

Roger

TR4A 1967 daily(ish) driver
TR41962  having surgery at present
Private Message Reply: 2 - 8
glang
July 28, 2017, 2:50pm Report to Moderator

Of course I will take necessary precautions but please bear in mind that you have a far higher chance of dying in the car driving it....
Private Message Reply: 3 - 8
TedTaylor
July 28, 2017, 5:10pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Ahem - belying my name at the bottom I am a retired Quality Manager of an asbestos testing and surveying company who was responsible for maintaining the accreditation of the company for whom I worked.  Six months after I left the company (retired) it was in such a mess with their new Quality Manager that it closed down .......

All the actions taken over the control of asbestos were done with good reason, and while handling a material where the asbestos content is tightly bound in the substrate as with brake pads and linings is less of a hazard it is the dust which created the problem.

There was a situation at one time where people who worked replacing brakes on a daily basis who had blown out the brake dust and inhaled the dust over a number of years were found to suffer from lung cancer - look some time before it clicked that they were suffering from asbestosis .....

As has been commented asbestos containing brake material is better than much of what is available at the moment but must be handled with car - I have some original asbestos ones which I intend to use BUT when I come to clean out the dust I will take all precautions to avoid contamination by the dust that my experience has taught me.  That includes drilling or filing the lining material to help with fitment.

And just to close, people still comment that blue and brown asbestos is dangerous but white asbestos is safe.  Oh yeh ........... no just takes longer to kill you!

MUT

Mad Uncle Ted!
Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional.

AFH849B Mk1 2000 period rally replica (under restoration ..... again) First re-built 1991
NAM616G Morris 1800 London Sydney/Monte/World Cup (awaiting restoration)
SCG115G Mk1 PI estate
WDE 76K Mk2 2500 estate (Woodie) RBRR 2014   2016  
LSE Soft Dash Range Rover with Brooklands body kit on LPG (Still for sale)

From the depths of the Forest of Dean....
Private Message Reply: 4 - 8
ferny
July 28, 2017, 6:07pm Report to Moderator

Mr Hoppy!
Club Officer
Club member
Posts Per Day: 2.61
Worth keeping in mind that old pads are, well... Old. They may not live up to expectations - it depends on how well all the components of the material have aged.

I've used asbestos pads and I'm quite happy to say items such as mintex 1144 can perform just as well.

Acclaim - fully working and on the road
13/60 Herald - mx5 powered and other such fun things, legal enough...
Mk1 2000 - it's still alive, just sleeping
Expert 815d - the slug

If in doubt, do up until you hear the crack and then go another 1/4 turn to ensure tightness.
Site Private Message Windows Live Messenger Skype Reply: 5 - 8
1968Vitesse25
July 28, 2017, 7:44pm Report to Moderator

One feature of the old asbestos brake pads was they didn't wear out your discs like the new everything from wood to metallic fillers pads do.
Private Message Reply: 6 - 8
glang
July 28, 2017, 9:18pm Report to Moderator

The big advantage for me is that these are 9 quid delivered as opposed to 60+ for M1144s
Private Message Reply: 7 - 8
1968Vitesse25
July 28, 2017, 10:59pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from glang
The big advantage for me is that these are 9 quid delivered as opposed to 60+ for M1144s

I've run NOS asbestos brakes in my car for well over a decade. The price is right, the performance is very good, and Unipart are OEM quality.
Private Message Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Chit Chat Boards    Technical Chit-Chat  ›  NOS asbestos brake pads on Ebay

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread