Defective flywheel ring gear... :: Triumph Torque

Triumph Parts Sign up for our Newsletter Rimmer Bros

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Defective flywheel ring gear...
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Defective flywheel ring gear...
Users Browsing Forum
Alex, Lundyosprey and 18 Guests

Defective flywheel ring gear... Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Scimher
December 5, 2017, 8:58am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.23
My late '64 Herald 1200 convertible has a Dolomite 1300 engine. For some time now the starter has 'meshed' occasionally - once the ominous 'click' has happened I have just put the gearlever into 4th & either pushed the car a foot or so forward or backwards so that the starter would engage......invariably she would start instantly.

Needless to say the situation has got worse with the occasional severe locking up which no amount of rocking the car will free. A spanner on the starter 'pinion' has saved the day on a couple of occasions...

My question is, is it better to look for a replacement flywheel - or would it be better to get some new ring gear for the existing flywheel? I am presuming the gearbox is original Herald so what flywheel should be sought if it needs to be replaced?

Any comments or advice, gratefully received...  
Private Message
JohnD
December 5, 2017, 9:10am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.51
Scimher,
What makes you think that the ring gear is at fault?

Far more likely is the starter motor pinion throw-in mechanism.  I think the original had a Bendix gear, that uses the inertia of the pinion on a screw thread to throw the pinion into gear with the ring.
The Bendix notoriously becomes fouled with clutch wear debris and oil.
Remove the starter, clean the Bendix gear and lubricate with graphite powder - never oil or grease.

More modern starters, and the Hi-Torque versions retro-fitted to Triumphs, had a 'pre-engaged' pinion, pushed into place by a solenoid, identified as a second cylinder on top of the starter.
They are nore difficult to service.

John

Serial Vitesse racer.

Old Blue.  1995-2001
Silverback. 2001-2007
SofS. 2007 - to date.

Private Message Reply: 1 - 7
Scimher
December 5, 2017, 9:39am Report to Moderator

Thanks very much for your prompt response, John - the starter motor was replaced 6 or 7yrs. ago.....The only thing that I have to go on was that I was told that the fault was due to some broken teeth on the flyheel, a few years ago. The problem has got considerably worse.  
Private Message Reply: 2 - 7
Nick Jones
December 5, 2017, 6:10pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
Worth removing the starter and doing what John suggests first off as it's free and won't take very long.  Check the condition of the starter teeth - if they are mangled then that won't be helping.

While the starter is out, take a look at the ring gear through the starter hole.  Wear will be noticeable at two diametrically opposed points (or 3 points @ 120º on a 6 cyl) because the engine usually comes to rest near the top of a compression stroke.  The wear will be on the back side.  If the teeth have almost gone then you'll need a new ring gear or a better flywheel assembly.  If they are just ragged and burred then a tidy-up with a file in situ will help.

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 3 - 7
poppyman
December 5, 2017, 6:17pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.72
You also dont have to replace the starter.  You can just fit a new bendix, much cheaper than a complete starter and are available on "fleabay" around £8.

Cheers, Tony.
Private Message Reply: 4 - 7
Scimher
December 5, 2017, 9:33pm Report to Moderator

Thanks for the advice, Nick and Tony, will see if I can sort it without having to get someone to strip it all down. I'll start with the starter motor...
Private Message Reply: 5 - 7
poppyman
December 5, 2017, 10:36pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.72
Quoted from Scimher
Thanks for the advice, Nick and Tony, will see if I can sort it without having to get someone to strip it all down. I'll start with the starter motor...

If you could post a pic of the starter showing the bendix, it would give us a better idea as to the main culprit
Cheers, Tony.
Private Message Reply: 6 - 7
Scimher
December 6, 2017, 3:43pm Report to Moderator

I'll see what I can do, chaps - many thanks!
Private Message Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Defective flywheel ring gear...

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread