Print Topic - Archive

Triumph Torque  /  Rallies  /  2017 Essex Winter Rally - 19th November
Posted by: sparky_spit, September 15, 2017, 3:58pm
The 2017 Essex Winter Rally – 19th November  – “Sand, Sea and Herrings”

The 10th edition of the Club Triumph Essex Winter 12 Car Navigation Rally will be running again this year in November, on Sunday 19th.   This is the perfect way to spend a Sunday morning using your Triumph in an event which can be as competitive as you want it to be, as there will be a Beginner “Touring” class as well as the usual Expert and Novice classes.

The title above gives some hints as to where the route this year might take you; suffice to say that we will be visiting some of  the more coastal and “watery” areas of Essex and southeast Suffolk.  The event is being run over a wide mix of roads; some nice flowing roads, interesting little lanes, etc., none of which are damaging to your car. In previous year’s events we have been blessed with some perfect, crisp, early winter sunshine and some great close competition, and this year’s event is hoped to be just as good.

The start location is in Brightlingsea, Essex, which is on the coast to the east of Colchester, and the finish location is very close to a main road which gives easy access to the A12 both north and south. Start times are from 10:00am and there should be approximately three and a half to four hours of driving before reaching the finish. There will be breakfast available at the start, a Sunday lunch in a pub at the finish, and about 75 miles of navigation and driving between the two.  The route will be the same for novices and experts, but with the navigation clues being different to suit the differing skill levels. If you do not wish to, or are not able, plot the navigation yourself for the route you can always enter in the Beginner class. The Beginners will get a marked-up copy of the map to use, and can opt to answer some treasure hunt type questions as they go round, with the chance of winning a bottle for the most correct answers.

This event is always very popular, strictly limited to 12 cars, often oversubscribed, and is suitable for raw beginners and seasoned crews alike. Have a look at the Regulations, which long with the Entry Form, are available to download below and, if you fancy a great morning’s competition, get an entry in straight away.

The Regulations and Entry Form are available here:
Posted by: Rutty, September 15, 2017, 4:08pm; Reply: 1
SEPT is this how they say November in Essex.   :P ;D :-/
Posted by: Rutty, September 15, 2017, 4:12pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from sparky_spit
[b]

In previous year’s events we have been blessed with some perfect, crisp, early winter sunshine and some great close competition, and this year’s event is hoped to be just as good.

You forgotten we needed a boat on one event :o
Posted by: thescrapman, September 15, 2017, 4:24pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Rutty

You forgotten we needed a boat on one event :o

Ah yes, the Essex "Water" rally.

The fords went up over a foot between checking at 8am and car arrival at 11am, except for the one that was already over 10ft when I checked the day before.
Posted by: sparky_spit, September 15, 2017, 4:39pm; Reply: 4
Glad you saw the error....   Just checking on your observational skills  ;)

I'll correct it I think.

If you remember correctly, the Essex Water Rally was organised by someone else.  No chance of floods on mine  :P
Posted by: mikeyb, September 16, 2017, 7:33am; Reply: 5
19th of Nov is a bad choice of date for me.  It's Ivi's birthday, so I guess I may be otherwise engaged   :'(
Posted by: thescrapman, September 16, 2017, 8:03am; Reply: 6
Quoted from mikeyb
19th of Nov is a bad choice of date for me.  It's Ivi's birthday, so I guess I may be otherwise engaged   :'(

I just despair of your lack of imagination.

Offer to take her out for a drive followed by a nice lunch. Nothing untrue in that.

Plonking the map on her lap may be a bit suspicious, but it is too late by then :-)

I too am busy that day sadly, so probably not able to take part.
Posted by: G_Cam, September 16, 2017, 8:04am; Reply: 7
Quoted from mikeyb

Aye Aye.. Nudge Nudge Wink Wink    ;) ;) ;)
Posted by: Ellis Stokes, September 16, 2017, 8:49am; Reply: 8
Charlie & I should be there... thought I was going to miss this one Mike, but changed arrangements and have managed to keep it clear!
Posted by: richard w, September 16, 2017, 10:23am; Reply: 9
19th November's good for me. Don't have a co-driver yet though  :-/
Posted by: Rutty, September 16, 2017, 9:26pm; Reply: 10
I hope to do this one. Pete has just got to see if he can take the time off work. It could be a couple of weeks till he knows.

Mark
Posted by: cliftyhanger, September 17, 2017, 1:22pm; Reply: 11
Lucy and Gill have had a game of rock/paper/scissors. Looks like Lucy is going to be the nav on this  :) Think she may be a bit rusty though.....
Posted by: Radders, September 17, 2017, 5:02pm; Reply: 12
Count me in for this one. Just need to find a navigator due to most of the Essex crew being on domestic duties.  :)
Posted by: richard w, September 17, 2017, 8:04pm; Reply: 13
I'll navigate for you Steve if you want.
Posted by: Jonny-Jimbo, September 18, 2017, 10:32am; Reply: 14
I'll be there, but with Joe as nav rather than AJ.
Posted by: Jonny-Jimbo, September 18, 2017, 10:32am; Reply: 15
Posted by: thescrapman, September 18, 2017, 10:50am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo

Have you and AJ fallen out after that 45 right Saturday night??

:-)
Posted by: Jonny-Jimbo, September 18, 2017, 12:00pm; Reply: 17
Haha, no, she's got a family engagement thing.
Posted by: Radders, September 19, 2017, 9:44am; Reply: 18
Quoted from richard w
I'll navigate for you Steve if you want.

I'll take you up on that Richard.  :)  Pm sent

Posted by: Radders, September 20, 2017, 8:16am; Reply: 19
Entry in post today from Radley/Warr   :)
Posted by: sparky_spit, September 20, 2017, 1:26pm; Reply: 20
Two entries have now arrived:

Tim Dafforn/Simon Long - TR6 - Beginner
Clive Senior/Lucy Senior - Toledo - Novice

Also, just a reminder of the general rules and format for the event (which have been in place since 2015), copied from the Rallies/12 Car Navigation Rallies section of the website:
12 Car Navigation Rallies - There will be 3 classes in which you can enter: Beginner, Novice and Expert.  All entrants, regardless of class, will drive the same route.

Beginner Class - The Beginner class is a non-competitive touring class and is for those wishing to participate in the event without having to work through the navigation clues. Anyone can opt to run as a Beginner. Beginners will be given either a marked map or a list of map references to plot on their own map, and the individual organiser will decide with you which of these you will use. The route will be exactly the same as the other classes, and driven in the same direction. To add interest there will be questions given to you to answer as you drive the route, or you will simply note down the code boards along the route the same as the other classes; this will be decided by the organiser. No competitive Championship or Challenge points will be awarded in the Beginner class, but you will be given start and finish points as appropriate.

Crews who normally run as Expert or Novice can opt to run as Beginner if they wish, but will not gain any points for use in Championships and the Challenge, except start and finish points as above.

Novice Class - Novice clues will be different to the Expert clues and they will be simple and straightforward with no tricks. If needed, you may be given general discretionary help with plotting or specific navigation queries.

Expert Class - Expert clues will be a significantly harder and may include a small number of very tricky (but still workable) clues, and reasonable measures to stop Experts from having excess time to drive alternative possible routes.

Clues for Novice and Expert classes will be very clear in their meaning with no scope for different interpretations. For example, terms such as "best not to" and "try to" will not be used and terms such as "must", "mandatory", "must not" or "forbidden" will be used.

Additional route proving information may be used, as well as additional information on code boards. For example, the number of bells at the "?? Bells Pub" could be a question for Novices. The same question given to Experts could also provide the 6th digit of the map reference of the next navigation clue, as could an additional character to be found on a code board. There may also be bonus points awarded for these answers which will help provide a tie break, if required. The use of such navigation questions and additional code board information is up to the individual organiser to use or not, and its use will be clearly stated in the Final Instructions.

Scoring will remain as is currently used for Expert and Novice classes, and as stated in the Final Instructions.  Beginners will be given a score within their own class, based upon their accumulated points, purely for their own interest and enjoyment. Experts and Novices will have any bonus points used for tie breaking purposes, if this method is being used by the organiser.

Championship and Challenge points for Experts and Novices will remain as is currently used. Beginners will not be awarded Championship and Challenge points.

Dummy code boards may be used and it will be made clear to entrants that they may be encountered, and that the fact that they may see a code board does not necessarily mean that they are on the correct route.

Panic Envelopes will be used so that Experts can continue the event if they fail to find or work out the answer to a next-junction dependent question, and in case Novices get really stuck with the navigation or become lost. The envelope will only contain the location of the next control.  The penalty for opening will be such that entrants would not open it purely to gain an advantage; normally 3 fails per envelope. The Final Instructions will state the penalty given.

Promotion.  A navigator will move up from Novice to Expert once he or she has had 3 wins within the current class in CT 12 car events, or in similar events with other clubs. A driver will run at whatever class his or her navigator is currently at.

Final Instructions will include a clear statement of what format the event is going to be and be very clear on how the scoring, bonus points, and tie-breaking will work for the event.

Crew members will be limited to 2, even for the Beginner class, to comply with the MSA 12 Car Navigation Rally permit.

Entries will open with publication on the CT Forum, Comps website and (where possible) within Club Torque.  There will be a 10 day period in which Expert and Novice entries will take precedence over Beginner entries. This is to allow entrants who are trying to gain points in the Championship or Challenge a better chance of a place if there were to be a high number of entries for the beginner non-competitive touring class.
Posted by: Jonny-Jimbo, September 20, 2017, 4:27pm; Reply: 21
I got my copy of the map through the post today (found a brand new one on eBay for a few quid with free postage!), and the area we'll be covering is going to be somewhat limited being as half the map is water!
Posted by: Radders, September 20, 2017, 4:31pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
I got my copy of the map through the post today (found a brand new one on eBay for a few quid with free postage!), and the area we'll be covering is going to be somewhat limited being as half the map is water!

That's ok Jon, most of the area that we covered last year was underwater as well.  :)

Posted by: Jonny-Jimbo, September 20, 2017, 5:13pm; Reply: 23
Feel a bit short changed by OS. Couldn't they have drawn some sea monsters on there etc as well to liven things up a bit?
Posted by: thescrapman, September 20, 2017, 6:42pm; Reply: 24
That was All land a few thousand years ago. Like the fens we have plans to drain it at some point.
Posted by: Jonny-Jimbo, September 21, 2017, 7:59am; Reply: 25
Entry in the post this afternoon for Team Fallowell and Falafel.
Posted by: sparky_spit, September 23, 2017, 3:19pm; Reply: 26
Updated entry list:

Steve Radley/Richard Warr - Mk1 2.5PI/Novice
Posted by: RobPearce, September 25, 2017, 10:57am; Reply: 27
We're probably not available for this one - it's the middle of term so Iris is very busy.
Posted by: Stuart Wilson, September 26, 2017, 12:25pm; Reply: 28
have wild thoughts about heading down from Northumberland to see how you southern boys do a 12 car.............
Posted by: sparky_spit, September 26, 2017, 1:12pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Stuart Wilson
have wild thoughts about heading down from Northumberland to see how you southern boys do a 12 car.............

You would be made most welcome Stuart.  Have you got a visa to get into Essex?  ;)
Posted by: sparky_spit, September 26, 2017, 2:24pm; Reply: 30
Updated entry list:

Michael Helm/Andy Flexney - TR6 - Novice
Jon Fallowell/Joe Fallowell - 2000 Saloon - Novice
Posted by: dazasdolly, September 26, 2017, 4:39pm; Reply: 31
Hi Mike

I'll pop my form in on Friday

Cheers

Darren
Posted by: Stuart Wilson, September 27, 2017, 11:12am; Reply: 32
My regular navigator is busy on that day doing TV work for Special Stage TV at Cadwell park.  I'll have to check my reserve list of possibles
Posted by: Stuart Wilson, September 28, 2017, 4:03pm; Reply: 33
Entry from me should be in the post tomorrow........
Posted by: Rutty, September 28, 2017, 8:21pm; Reply: 34
Pete is free so a Jackson, Rutter entry will be in the post shortly. :) 8)

Posted by: Stuart Wilson, September 29, 2017, 8:50am; Reply: 35
Entry form filled in , cheque book eventually found and cheque written, envelope written. Will be in the post this afternoon.

My navigator for this event will be someone who has sat in with me before mainly doing stage events. Quite handy as he now lives in the Essex area somewhere
Posted by: sparky_spit, September 29, 2017, 10:46am; Reply: 36
Excellent.  I know of two other entries on their way, so it's filling up nicely.
Posted by: Dale, September 30, 2017, 11:41am; Reply: 37
You should hopefully have received one from me and Niggle by now too  :o
Posted by: sparky_spit, October 1, 2017, 10:54am; Reply: 38
More entries have come in, making the current list:

Stuart Wilson/Steve Dargan - TR7 - Novice
Dale Barker/Nigel Abdullah - 2000 Saloon - Expert

The permit has now been obtained, and the route finalised.  Start and Finish locations checked and/or booked.
Posted by: sparky_spit, October 3, 2017, 3:04pm; Reply: 39
Two more entries have arrived, making the list:

Charlie Deards/Bob Deards - TR7 V8 - Novice
Tony Pulis/Ellis Stokes - 2500 Mk1 Saloon - Expert

There are three places left, so if you are intending on entering, don't delay in getting your entry in.
Posted by: Ridgetone Triumph, October 4, 2017, 6:46pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Rutty
Pete is free so a Jackson, Rutter entry will be in the post shortly. :) 8)

I think he has it Rutty....... :)
Posted by: Rutty, October 4, 2017, 8:26pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Ridgetone Triumph

I think he has it Rutty....... :)

Yes Pete Mike has sent me an email saying it has been received.  :)
Posted by: sparky_spit, October 6, 2017, 9:22am; Reply: 42
Updated entry list:

Peter Jackson/Mark Rutter - 2500 TC Estate - Expert
Posted by: 10472 (Guest), October 17, 2017, 6:36am; Reply: 43
Hi all,
We're the "beginners" in the event!
I have some newby questions..
Where is the start point and when do we get the route map?
Cheers
Tim
Posted by: Stuart Wilson, October 17, 2017, 7:07am; Reply: 44
Quoted from 10472
Hi all,
Cheers
Tim

The start location is in the event regs which are available on the first page of this thread
Posted by: sparky_spit, October 17, 2017, 4:46pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from 10472
Hi all,
Cheers
Tim

Hi Tim,
Yes as Stuart says, the start location is in the regulations which you can download from this thread further up. As you don't have a map the map reference given is of no use so use the postcode given instead. If you need a specific location now, let me know and I'll email you a screenshot, as I'd rather not put the location here on a public forum.  A week before the event, I will send the Final  Instructions to all entrants by email. These include everything you need to know to compete in the event on the day. As beginners, you will be given a map at the start with the route already marked on it, and all you need to do is to follow the route on the road, writing down each code board you pass, which shows that you have driven the correct route. Novices and experts have it quite a bit harder than this as they have to work out the route themselves from navigation clues provided.

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions once you have read the finals, then just let me know.

Rgds, Mike
Posted by: 10472 (Guest), October 18, 2017, 8:30pm; Reply: 46
Thanks that is really helpful...
Cheers
Tim
Posted by: sparky_spit, October 20, 2017, 12:47pm; Reply: 47
Another entry today, making the list as follows:

Ian Cowan/Chris Dyson - TR4A - Beginner

Only 1 place left now; be quick if you are entering.
Posted by: thescrapman, October 20, 2017, 2:24pm; Reply: 48
Will be handed over tonight... :-)
Posted by: sparky_spit, October 21, 2017, 10:29am; Reply: 49

Another entry yesterday, now making the list as follows:

Colin Wake/Michelle Wake - TR6 - Novice

The entry is now full, but still open for reserves. Experience of previous events shows that somebody will almost certainly drop out before the day, or break down getting there, so still send an entry if you would still like to enter.  If a place does not become available I would be very happy for you to use a marked map and run as a closing car, picking up the code boards on the way round for me. And you'd get your entry fee back. See?... there is such a thing as a free lunch.
Posted by: Rutty, October 21, 2017, 9:00pm; Reply: 50
[quote=sparky_spit]
Another entry yesterday, now making the list as follows:

quote]

OK Colin are you really going to be able to just sit and say nothing while Michelle plots!! :-/
Posted by: richard w, October 21, 2017, 10:36pm; Reply: 51
I'm thinking that my 3rd novice navigator win is looking more unlikely - sorry Steve  ;)
Posted by: thescrapman, October 22, 2017, 5:01pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from richard w
I'm thinking that my 3rd novice navigator win is looking more unlikely - sorry Steve  ;)

It's OK Richard as when we win you will still be first novice.  ;)
Posted by: thescrapman, October 22, 2017, 5:02pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Rutty

OK Colin are you really going to be able to just sit and say nothing while Michelle plots!! :-/

Where does it say on the regs that I have to sit there and say nothing?

:)
Posted by: Rutty, October 22, 2017, 5:38pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from thescrapman

Where does it say on the regs that I have to sit there and say nothing?

:)

I am sure Mike can add it in just for you.(naughty)
Posted by: Ellis Stokes, October 23, 2017, 4:26pm; Reply: 55
Colin behind the wheel...!  Mr Rutter, I hope you're up for the challenge - that could hand the co-drivers championship to you dear chap.
Posted by: Ajaxracer, October 23, 2017, 8:10pm; Reply: 56
My work load has been hectic over the last few weeks, ive had the application filled out ready to send, i just havent had the chance, is it worth me sending it down to you for the reserve list?

If you could let me know and ill get into the post tomorrow morning along with a cheque.

Be gutted if we cant compete as it means we will loose points, my own fault though so no worries of not.

Cheers Nathan
Posted by: Jonny-Jimbo, October 24, 2017, 8:03am; Reply: 57
I guess if I'm going to do this I need to finally sort that coolant leak on the Lemon. Can't quite work out where it's coming from either which is most annoying...
Posted by: sparky_spit, October 24, 2017, 2:26pm; Reply: 58
Hi Nathan - History of this event shows that nearly every time, somebody drops out with a few days to go or breaks down on the way there in the morning of the event. Or both. If you are 1st reserve, you stand a relatively good chance of getting in at the last minute, although nothing is certain of course.  Only you can make the decision whether it is worth the risk of travelling down and not getting a run.

Why not send an entry anyway, and I will keep you posted of the current position right up to the night before. If still no withdrawals, on the morning you can decide whether to travel to Essex or not. I can return your entry fee if you decide not to chance it.

Also, you could run as the closing car, going round the course behind the others picking up the code boards for me, using a marked map. You'd get your entry fee back and get marshalling points awarded.  Not everyone's cup of tea, I'll admit, but it might be okay for you if you are just looking for a run out and getting some points.

Hope this may help.

Cheers - Mike

PS - you could sneak into Jon's workshop on the 18th with some tools and "help" him find his leak?   :)
Posted by: Jonny-Jimbo, October 25, 2017, 12:57pm; Reply: 59
Just don't go near the radiator when finding the leak - had enough headaches on RBRR with that sodding thing. Probably the most expensive single component on the whole car!
Posted by: Rutty, October 25, 2017, 7:46pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Ellis Stokes
Colin behind the wheel...!  Mr Rutter, I hope you're up for the challenge - that could hand the co-drivers championship to you dear chap.

I am always up for the challenge lets just hope we have a car that can do more than 20mph this year. :-/
Posted by: Rutty, October 25, 2017, 7:53pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from sparky_spit

Is it about time the Seniors thought about moving up to expert!  Its a lot more fun, apparently
Posted by: cliftyhanger, October 25, 2017, 7:57pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Rutty

Is it about time the Seniors thought about moving up to expert!  Its a lot more fun, apparently

tsch tsch, poor old Lucy has not done any navigating for well over 3 years....and I haven't entered one for a year or so. So we are both distinctly rusty :o
Posted by: Rutty, October 25, 2017, 9:05pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from cliftyhanger

tsch tsch, poor old Lucy has not done any navigating for well over 3 years....and I haven't entered one for a year or so. So we are both distinctly rusty :o

Is it that long seems like only yesterday that you last did a rally. Expert for next year then ;)
Posted by: Radders, October 26, 2017, 7:27am; Reply: 64
Notification of a car change. Gertie will now replace the Pi on this event. (The Pi will now be going in for bodywork & respray)

You have an email Mr Banks  :)
Posted by: thescrapman, October 26, 2017, 8:14am; Reply: 65
Quoted from Radders
Notification of a car change. Gertie will now replace the Pi on this event. (The Pi will now be going in for bodywork & respray)

Make sure the filler is abit thicker in the PI don't want it falling out as easily as gertie... :-)
Posted by: Jonny-Jimbo, October 26, 2017, 10:06am; Reply: 66
Hopefully you won't have to pull us out of a ditch this time...
Posted by: sparky_spit, October 26, 2017, 12:34pm; Reply: 67
Car change noted for team Radley/Warr - thanks.

The question about whether certain crews should be entered as novice or expert ought to be pretty straightforward.  The current rules on this within CT can be found at http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/comps/mxcontent.cgi?pid=70  and the relevant bit is:

"Promotion.  A navigator will move up from Novice to Expert once he or she has had 3 wins within the current class in CT 12 car events, or in similar events with other clubs. A driver will run at whatever class his or her navigator is currently at."

It is left to the entrant to be honest about this as CT organisors have no means, nor wish, to trawl through past results from other clubs.  I have no doubt that all entrants we have now, and had over the years, have been 100% trustworthy in this respect.  I suppose there could be a case for voluntary promotion should the individual want an extra challenge, and that would be fine with me.

I've had 2 enquiries about remaining places and being on the reserve list/running as closing car, but nothing in the post as yet.  So, if anybody still wants to enter and hope for the best (or worst, from the dropping out crew's point of view) send an entry in soon.
Posted by: Radders, October 26, 2017, 1:14pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from thescrapman

Make sure the filler is abit thicker in the PI don't want it falling out as easily as gertie... :-)

I've never touched the front valance on Gertie, so the filler was already there from when you and the other bodger owned it.  :)

Posted by: thescrapman, October 26, 2017, 2:53pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Hopefully you won't have to pull us out of a ditch this time...

Ah, that would be why the filler fell out last Friday, nothing at all to do with the road just disappearing (well it did kind of, it went into a ford) and definitely nothing to do with the marker post for the ford..

We will send you the bill.
Posted by: Radders, October 26, 2017, 4:01pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from thescrapman

........nothing at all to do with the road just disappearing (well it did kind of, it went into a ford)

It totally disappeared! I thought I was about to drive off the end of the world!  :o

Posted by: Dale, October 26, 2017, 4:46pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from Radders

It totally disappeared! I thought I was about to drive off the end of the world!  :o

Nah, that's a bit further North Steve..........................
Posted by: mikeyb, October 27, 2017, 6:12am; Reply: 72
Quoted from Radders

I've never touched the front valance on Gertie, so the filler was already there from when you and the other bodger owned it.  :)

:B
Posted by: Ridgetone Triumph, October 27, 2017, 11:14am; Reply: 73
Quoted from Radders

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D    That's Yorkshire....................

Quoted from Rutty

I am always up for the challenge lets just hope we have a car that can do more than 20mph this year. :-/

I'll have you know 'Pooh Bear' is back to his super normal self........RUTTTTTTTTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(pray)
Posted by: Rutty, October 27, 2017, 6:41pm; Reply: 74

I'll have you know 'Pooh Bear' is back to his super normal self........RUTTTTTTTTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(pray)

That's good as She needs to be fit for next years RBRR.  Saying that She has been playing up since last years RBRR.(think)(dance)
Posted by: Ridgetone Triumph, October 28, 2017, 12:14am; Reply: 75
Quoted from Rutty

That's good as She needs to be fit for next years RBRR.  Saying that She has been playing up since last years RBRR.(think)(dance)

Hmmm, that's because you call him a girl!!! ??)
Posted by: Rutty, October 28, 2017, 8:02pm; Reply: 76

Hmmm, that's because you call him a girl!!! ??)

Pete we have had this conversation before, All cars are girls. Would a bloke just break down for no reason at all!(dizzy)
Posted by: Ridgetone Triumph, October 29, 2017, 9:18am; Reply: 77
Quoted from Rutty

Pete we have had this conversation before, .................................................. Would a bloke just break down for no reason at all!(dizzy)

;D ;D ;D ;D  Yes, when you call him a girl................... :P

But remember 'Poo' is not a car, he is part of the family.....My family and we are all boys  ;)
Posted by: sparky_spit, November 2, 2017, 4:34pm; Reply: 78
An update after a week or so finalising a few things.  For those who will be eating at the finish location pub, I have circulated a menu so that pre-orders can be taken. If you have not got this email from me, please shout.

Another entry today to fill the reserve slot:

Nathan Billing/Tom Overton - 1300 FWD - Novice (Currently a reserve team)
Posted by: Rutty, November 2, 2017, 9:05pm; Reply: 79
Hi Mike

I have not received your email.

Cheers
Mark
Posted by: sparky_spit, November 3, 2017, 9:57am; Reply: 80
Quoted from Rutty
Hi Mike

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark - that's odd; I've checked and you are on the distribution list.  I've resent it just to you. Can you let me know if you do/don't get it?
Posted by: thescrapman, November 3, 2017, 1:07pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from Rutty
Hi Mike

Cheers
Mark

Me neither I think
Posted by: sparky_spit, November 3, 2017, 1:13pm; Reply: 82
I'll re-send to you as well Colin.  Maybe your's and Mark's provider's spam filters are removing the email as it has a large (well, 22) recipients list?   Or may be talking out of my ASCII again....
Posted by: Jonny-Jimbo, November 3, 2017, 1:27pm; Reply: 83
Food order made for me - I'll give Joebro a prodding this evening to order his too... May not be Michelin star though so he may choose to decline.
Posted by: richard w, November 3, 2017, 10:31pm; Reply: 84
Food order email sent Mike.
Posted by: Jonny-Jimbo, November 9, 2017, 5:30pm; Reply: 85
Water leak now fixed! I forgot that I'd made the thermostat gasket out of a cornflake packet as a 'limp me home' fix after RBRR... (Yes, I know that was a year ago...)
Posted by: Jonny-Jimbo, November 9, 2017, 6:52pm; Reply: 86
I have also just found out my MOT expired at the end of September!! oops... Best get booked in for a test next week then!
Posted by: sparky_spit, November 10, 2017, 10:39am; Reply: 87
A "last call" email has been sent to those who have not responded to the request for menu choices at the finish location, including any nil returns.

Final Instructions will be emailed to all crews this weekend (including a corrected map reference for the start location).
Posted by: sparky_spit, November 12, 2017, 5:05pm; Reply: 88
Final Instructions have been emailed to all crews today.  This includes a seeded starting list:

Nathan Billing/Tom Overton - 1300 FWD - Novice (Currently a reserve team)

If any crew did not receive the email please let me know.
Posted by: Jonny-Jimbo, November 13, 2017, 7:59am; Reply: 89
Mike, did you get my email about food and Joe's email address?
Posted by: sparky_spit, November 13, 2017, 11:22am; Reply: 90
Yes Jon, thanks.  All sorted and food booked with the pub this morning.

All you have to do now is make it round in time to eat it....  ;)
Posted by: Jonny-Jimbo, November 14, 2017, 11:18am; Reply: 91
The 2000 passed today, no advisories either which is nice to get twice in a row!!
Posted by: sparky_spit, November 15, 2017, 10:38pm; Reply: 92
An HRCR Navigation Handbook has been sent out to Essex Rally first time navigators.  If anyone else wants one, let me know.

Also, if anyone has to unfortunately withdraw from the event between now and Saturday night, can they please let me know ASAP so that Nathan and Tom (the reserve crew) can take their place.

Thanks.
Posted by: Jonny-Jimbo, November 16, 2017, 11:45pm; Reply: 93
Posteriors starting with the letter A and ending with E!

Team Fallowell is out of the event - lost all the headlights on the way home from work tonight. Working to fix it, but may not get it done in time. Dropping out now to give Nathan a chance to run.
Posted by: sparky_spit, November 17, 2017, 11:31am; Reply: 94
JJ's unfortunate withdrawal, plus a slight crew re-arrangement, car change, and another possible car change makes the list look like this:

Steve Radley/Richard Warr - "Saloon"/Novice
Nathan Billing/Tom Overton - 1300 FWD - Novice
Michelle Wake/Colin Wake - Herald - Expert

The weather looks promising for Sunday, although a bit chilly.

See you then.
Posted by: thescrapman, November 17, 2017, 2:12pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Posteriors starting with the letter A and ending with E!

Team Fallowell is out of the event - lost all the headlights on the way home from work tonight. Working to fix it, but may not get it done in time. Dropping out now to give Nathan a chance to run.

have you got your headlight switch protected by relays?
Posted by: Ridgetone Triumph, November 18, 2017, 2:01pm; Reply: 96
Should finish work at 3am tomorrow.  ::)
Alarm set for 5:50am  ??)
Posted by: willows40, November 18, 2017, 10:39pm; Reply: 97
Colin
Notice you have changed car, is Michelle driving your estate? Or are you risking my convertible to get round without breaking down
Posted by: thescrapman, November 18, 2017, 10:54pm; Reply: 98
Michelle is driving the "in-a-state"

Your convertible is RBRR ready I reckon..... not going to break down now I have worked my magic on it.

:-)
Posted by: willows40, November 18, 2017, 11:10pm; Reply: 99
Hope you have put a decent seat in it for her. You can use the convertible if you want. Have a nice mgbgt to use on the rbrr, but don’t think I would be allowed
Posted by: sparky_spit, November 20, 2017, 9:51am; Reply: 100
The sun shone, the wind blowed, and 12 cars left Brightlinsea at 09:45 on Sunday and pitched up about 4 hours later for drinks, food, a natter, and the provisional results.

These have now been checked, a correction made which promotes one crew and unfortunately demotes two crews, and are as follows:

Colin and Michelle Wake - 1st overall and 1st Expert - 3F and 6 Reg points
Pete Jackson and Mark Rutter - 2nd overall and 2nd Expert - 3F and 207 Reg points (as you can see, less points is good)
Tony Pulis and Ellis Stokes - 3rd overall and 3rd Expert - 5F and 3 Reg points
Clive and Lucy Senior - 4th overall and 1st Novice - 5F and 66 Reg points
Stuart Wilson and Steve Dargan - 5th overall and 2nd Novice - 7F and 26 Reg points
Steve Radley and Richard Warr - 6th overall and 3rd Novice - 7F and 59 Reg points
Dale Barker and Nigel Abdullah - 7th overall and 4th Expert - 8F and 39 Reg points
Nathan Billing and Tom Overton - 8th overall and 4th Novice - 12F and 123 Reg points
Bob and Charlie Deards - 9th overall and 5th Novice - 14F and NTR (no time recorded)
Michael Helm and Andy Flexney - 10th overall and 6th Novice - 16F and 103 Reg points
Tim Dafforn and Simon Long - 1st Beginner - 5F and NTR
Ian Cowan and Chris Dyson - 2nd Beginner - 6F and 221 Reg points

There will be an email to all competitors shortly with the above results included, plus a bit of plotting info about the "tricky" Section 3 (12 green spots....) and the "missing" M and K code boards.

Thanks to all crews for making it an enjoyable event (for me anyway...) and I hope you all made it home safely.
Posted by: Ridgetone Triumph, November 20, 2017, 5:56pm; Reply: 101
Many thanks Mike and Janice, another super CT event.  :)
A few pictures

Posted by: Ridgetone Triumph, November 20, 2017, 5:57pm; Reply: 102
And another

Posted by: cliftyhanger, November 20, 2017, 6:18pm; Reply: 103
Many thanks to Mike and Janice for all their work. Another great event :)
Decent lunch too. And to top it all the weather was excellent.
Posted by: Ridgetone Triumph, November 20, 2017, 7:12pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from cliftyhanger
Many thanks to Mike and Janice for all their work. Another great event :)
Decent lunch too. And to top it all the weather was excellent.

That's because the sun always shines out my...........Well that's what my Mum says, I'll get my coat  :B
Posted by: sparky_spit, November 20, 2017, 10:28pm; Reply: 105
Nice pictures Pete.  I've also got some, that I was taking at a couple of places on the route, so I'll add some here too.

I can also email specific car pictures to their crews if wanted.
Posted by: Stuart Wilson, November 21, 2017, 6:52am; Reply: 106
We enjoyed the event, slightly different to the events we normally do but we managed and both came away smiling and very happy with the result
Posted by: Radders, November 21, 2017, 9:39am; Reply: 107
Quoted from sparky_spit
Nice pictures Pete.  I've also got some, that I was taking at a couple of places on the route, so I'll add some here too.

Yes please Mike

Posted by: Ridgetone Triumph, November 21, 2017, 9:41am; Reply: 108
Quoted from Radders

Yes please Mike

Snap  8)
Posted by: Radders, November 21, 2017, 9:44am; Reply: 109
We enjoyed the event, slightly different to the events we normally do but we managed and both came away smiling and very happy with the result

Congratulations Stuart, I'll return my Trophy to Mike at the Christmas meal so he can post it to you.

Thanks Also to my navigator on the day, Richard Warr for his efforts and good company over the weekend.  :)
Posted by: cliftyhanger, November 21, 2017, 1:18pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from sparky_spit

Me too please!
Posted by: sparky_spit, November 21, 2017, 1:25pm; Reply: 111
Update....The code board M, that was put on the northern loop of the 12 green dots part of section 3, was indeed missing when I picked up the boards. As nobody got this it's safe to assume it must have been taken overnight.

It makes no difference to the results as such and, on the positive side, you all got 1 less fail than you thought you had.

Ill sort out the pictures and email them to you. Will be in separate emails due to file size.

Posted by: Stuart Wilson, November 21, 2017, 2:27pm; Reply: 112
Pictures for me too please
Posted by: Stuart Wilson, November 21, 2017, 2:29pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from Radders

Congratulations Stuart, I'll return my Trophy to Mike at the Christmas meal so he can post it to you.

a trophy, even better. Absolutely no panic at all for that
Posted by: Radders, November 21, 2017, 4:35pm; Reply: 114

a trophy, even better. Absolutely no panic at all for that

That's ok, it's the second time I've been demoted down the places on this event, I'm getting used to it now!

Posted by: Jonny-Jimbo, November 21, 2017, 5:23pm; Reply: 115
You'll have to aim for 0th position, so when you get demoted you come 1st!
Posted by: richard w, November 21, 2017, 9:18pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from Radders

Thanks Also to my navigator on the day, Richard Warr for his efforts and good company over the weekend.  :)

Well done Stuart, I'll get my trophy over to Mike as well.

Thanks for the ride out in the pi Steve, what a car!  Gearknob ordered  :)
Posted by: Jonny-Jimbo, November 22, 2017, 9:18am; Reply: 117
Did you break the gearknob Richard, or have you decided to convert your auto to a manual O/D?
Posted by: Radders, November 22, 2017, 9:50am; Reply: 118
Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Did you break the gearknob Richard, or have you decided to convert your auto to a manual O/D?

Richard is converting to manual. I have a 'works rally type gearknob' with overdrive switch which I think he liked. (Although the one on Gertie is better quality I have to say)

Thanks for the compliment Richard, yes, the Pi is quite a car.  :)
Posted by: richard w, November 22, 2017, 12:32pm; Reply: 119
Yes, converting to manual od. It was having to put up with screaming revs on the 10CR that finally convinced me. Gearbox is in, overdrive can wait until the new gearknob comes as it's booked in for MOT on Saturday  (pray)
Posted by: thescrapman, November 22, 2017, 1:28pm; Reply: 120
Quoted from Radders

Richard is converting to manual. I have a 'works rally type gearknob' with overdrive switch which I think he liked. (Although the one on Gertie is better quality I have to say)

Gertie just has an ordinary OD knob I think...  ;)
Posted by: Radders, November 22, 2017, 5:30pm; Reply: 121
Quoted from thescrapman

Gertie just has an ordinary OD knob I think...  ;)

Ahh.....it's started already has it?  :)

Posted by: sparky_spit, November 22, 2017, 5:56pm; Reply: 122
Some pictures as promised.  These are resized ones to suit the forum but I have full fat ones I can send if you want to create a mural on your lounge wall at home.  I did try attaching some to emails, but I don't think I'm young enough to live that long for them all to upload to my mail service. There are some others too, but not of all crews I'm afraid.  So, I'll burn them to disc and use low tech Royal Mail to post them to you.  Apologies to those crews I did not manage to capture.
Posted by: sparky_spit, November 22, 2017, 5:58pm; Reply: 123
Again..
Posted by: sparky_spit, November 22, 2017, 5:59pm; Reply: 124
Again..
Posted by: sparky_spit, November 22, 2017, 6:00pm; Reply: 125
Again..
Posted by: sparky_spit, November 22, 2017, 6:01pm; Reply: 126
And more..
Posted by: sparky_spit, November 22, 2017, 6:02pm; Reply: 127
Again..
Posted by: sparky_spit, November 22, 2017, 6:04pm; Reply: 128
More..
Posted by: sparky_spit, November 22, 2017, 6:05pm; Reply: 129
Last one...
Posted by: thescrapman, November 22, 2017, 6:06pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from Radders

Ahh.....it's started already has it?  :)

What has started??

Well certainly not Gertie since removed the nice Magnacor leads..

Need to find some old leads in the garage.
Posted by: Radders, November 22, 2017, 7:34pm; Reply: 131
Quoted from thescrapman

What has started??

Well certainly not Gertie since removed the nice Magnacor leads..

Need to find some old leads in the garage.

I had some on Sunday but forgot to give them to you. I'll bring them on Saturday  :)

Posted by: Jonny-Jimbo, November 23, 2017, 11:03am; Reply: 132
Quoted from sparky_spit
Again..

Haha, smallpoo...

I know the car is called poo, but it still amused me... because I'm a child. Sorry.
Posted by: sparky_spit, November 23, 2017, 12:25pm; Reply: 133
You wait till you see the 5MB version of that picture then.

It's called BIGPOO.  You might laugh so much that you....    :P
Posted by: Ridgetone Triumph, November 23, 2017, 5:11pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from sparky_spit
You wait till you see the 5MB version of that picture then.

It's called BIGPOO.  You might laugh so much that you....    :P

;D ;D, I have number plates at home for Poo which say 'BIG POO' must put them for the HCR (whistle)(whistle)(whistle)(whistle)

Nice action pic's Mike  :)
Print page generated: December 16, 2017, 12:56pm